What is it??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is it??

Sorry if this is so vague, and also sorry that i can't post a picture, but can anyone enlighten me from my description please?

Its basically a white cap on a hollow stalk/shaft with two small lugs at the bottom of the stalk. It resembles an open mushroom and is about 2 inches high and 1 1/2" diameter.

Its made by Electrolux I think, as its got their logo on the top.

It came with the van, and although I've got an Electrolux fridge in there, I can't find any use for it on the fridge. The only place it does seem to fit is a round vent in the Luton, but won't turn in there for the lugs to lock in. Is it a key to open the vent by any chance and is mine stuck or have I got operator trouble (as usual)?

Mine is a 1985 demountable romahome. Does anyone else have a similar item / arrangement in theirs please?
    Thanks
    Alison

Originally posted by bluenote47 View Post
    Sorry if this is so vague, and also sorry that i can't post a picture, but can anyone enlighten me from my description please?

Its basically a white cap on a hollow stalk/shaft with two small lugs at the bottom of the stalk. It resembles an open mushroom and is about 2 inches high and 1 1/2" diameter.

Its made by Electrolux I think, as its got their logo on the top.

It came with the van, and although I've got an Electrolux fridge in there, I can't find any use for it on the fridge. The only place it does seem to fit is a round vent in the Luton, but won't turn in there for the lugs to lock in. Is it a key to open the vent by any chance and is mine stuck or have I got operator trouble (as usual)?

Mine is a 1985 demountable romahome. Does anyone else have a similar item / arrangement in theirs please?
    Thanks
    Alison
    By Heck, youve got a genuine "thingamajig"
    They are very rare, dont lose it, you will need it as soon as you do.
    Gracie Fields sang a song about the girl who made them during the war!
    Im sure some bright spark will helpyou find its real use, in the meantime, remember the girl "who made the spring that held the thing that made the thingamajig"
    Ian
    Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Originally posted by Ian STOCKLEY View Post
      By Heck, youve got a genuine "thingamajig"
      They are very rare, dont lose it, you will need it as soon as you do.
      Gracie Fields sang a song about the girl who made them during the war!
      Im sure some bright spark will helpyou find its real use, in the meantime, remember the girl "who made the spring that held the thing that made the thingamajig"
      Ian

lucky me......bet everyone wants one now

Comment

Yes please, I always like thingamyjig,s - so adaptable.

Comment

Originally posted by Twinkletoes View Post
          Yes please, I always like thingamyjig,s - so adaptable.
          but adaptable to what Tinkletoes?

I hope someone can put me out of my misery, as I can't find it mentioned in any electrolux manual I've downloaded

Comment

It sounds like it might be a stopper - the sort that stops the fridge door opening too far and clanging into whatever is next to it. How strange! Or maybe it's to prop open the door when the fridge is off to stop it going mouldy? I wonder if the lugs attach to the inside of the door somewhere near the bottom, so preventing the door meeting the side walls and forming a seal? Or is it the lock which stops the door from opening whilst you're on the move? In which case there will be a place for the lugs somewhere near the top on the opening side of the fridge door.

ooo, I do love a mystery!
            Last edited by jayjay; 15-06-2010, 16:07.

Comment

Turn it upside down and put a flower in it!
              Its a one bloom vase!
              Lucky girl.

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post
                It sounds like it might be a stopper - the sort that stops the fridge door opening too far and clanging into whatever is next to it. How strange! Or maybe it's to prop open the door when the fridge is off to stop it going mouldy? I wonder if the lugs attach to the inside of the door somewhere near the bottom, so preventing the door meeting the side walls and forming a seal? Or is it the lock which stops the door from opening whilst you're on the move? In which case there will be a place for the lugs somewhere near the top on the opening side of the fridge door.

ooo, I do love a mystery!
                perhaps I should offer it as a prize to whoever comes up with the best use / answer.....but then again its obviously sooooo rare and collectable Antiques Roadshow might be interested.......after all its probably a 1985 model to match the van......I'll go and investigate lug'oles and see if there's a opening there

Comment

Originally posted by Ian STOCKLEY View Post
                  Turn it upside down and put a flower in it!
                  Its a one bloom vase!
                  Lucky girl.

Ian
                  It would have to be a buttercup I'm afraid, the shaft wouldn't take a big stalk

Comment

How about sending a photograph, description of the item and details of the van and send to Electrolux Technical Department asking if they can identify it? Ann

Comment

How about sending a photograph, description of the item and details of the van and send to Electrolux Technical Department asking if they can identify it? Ann
                      yes thanks will give it a try.

Comment

On the other hand it could be a mold for small cylindrical ice lolly`s.

Ian

Joking aside, I spent some time hunting around for you but cant find anything, My best guess is that it is a rear spacer, designed to lock between two of the wire supports around the heat radiator so it cant be shoved back too far and obstruct airflow. Probably been hanging around inside the fridge since installation.
                        I think a phone call to Dometic may help if you are stll keen, they will need the fridge model number.
                        Sorry I cant be of more help.
                        Ian

p.s Second best guess, it is a key, to lock/unlock the winter cover on the outside ventilation grill for the fridge.
                        Last edited by Ian.C.S; 16-06-2010, 10:42.

Comment

[QUOTE=Ian STOCKLEY;6558]On the other hand it could be a mold for small cylindrical ice lolly`s.

Ian

ice lollies? What a waste of an ice box Ian - surely they are for making ice cubes for your G&Ts (strictly after you have parked up, removed your keys from the van's ignition, and settled down in your cabin for the night of course, and don't intend to drive for at least 12 hours after consumption) .

Seriously tho, I suspect its some kind of key. I've investigated all lug'oles I can find on my little fridge, and can only find a possible drainage hole with a stopper on the bottom of the inside of the door (which the thing doesn't fit anyway). The external vent is metal with an internal rubber flange (an earlier model I'm told by my caravan guy as they've been suceeded by various designs since), so i'm still left wondering Fridge and ice box are working a treat tho.

Thanks for your reseach. Alison

Comment

Alison,
                            I was in a Motorvan repairer today, so I asked about your electrolux part. He said if you email him the fridge model he would look in his catalogue. I also remember that plastic parts often have a part number moulded on the inside, not always easy to see. If you email [email protected] marked for the attention of Paul in the Shop. and give all the info you can he will see if he can find out for you. Ann

Comment

Alison,
                              I was in a Motorvan repairer today, so I asked about your electrolux part. He said if you email him the fridge model he would look in his catalogue. I also remember that plastic parts often have a part number moulded on the inside, not always easy to see. If you email [email protected] marked for the attention of Paul in the Shop. and give all the info you can he will see if he can find out for you. Ann
                              Thanks very much for this Ann. I'll get on to it today & keep you posted

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X