snapped handle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

snapped handle

Hi, First time using this forum, so bear with me please. Bought my first ever Romahome Duo in March and I LOVE it. From the beginning the door needed to beclosed rather forcefully to avoid raining in, with the result when opening again it neede to be pulled hard. As a result the handle has now snapped, I have ordered a new one from Romahome which iss on its way. Will I be able to easily fit this, bearing in mind I am a lady and not very technically minded!! or will I need to take it to a garage. I live in Northumberland and would be grateful for any recommendations as to a reliable place to look after my darling van:littleangel:

Hi Tilli10.
    If you can manage to unscrew 5 screws you'll manage the handle swap ok. Once you've done it, a tip for opening the door without straining the new handle is to push the door itself in as you pull the handle, this will take all the pressure off the mechanism and the handle will open very readily.
    Ant

Comment

Hi Tilli and welcome to the forum!

I put a new door catch on my caravan not long ago and did it myself. All you need is the right screwdriver and a little bit of patience. Watch how the old one comes off and simply put the new one in the same place and screw in again. Good luck with that, let us know how you got on.

Comment

Hi Tilli10 welcome to the forum.
        We too love our Romahome - our little Annie van!
        Mary
        :sunshine:

Comment

Thankyou for your replies. I will certainly have a go at replacing the said handle (probably with a lot of help from my good old dad). I think the reason the handle has snapped is that the rear door is very tight. Itneeds to be slammed to close properly. Have tried all advice about first click then push to secure, no joy!! I think the seal around the door has been replaced, possibly making it too tight. Also when the door is closed it is flush in the middle but sticks out about 1cm at top and bottom. Any suggestions!!!

Comment

Wonderful to hear from you all I have just posted another thread about problems I am having with my rear door. Very tight, resulting in the handle snapping. I'm going to tackle replacing the handle but I'm worried that the next handle will go the same way as the door needs to be slammed closed then yanked open. I have only had my little van a short while and have no faith in the dealer I bought it from, Discover at Durham, no aftersales at all, so I'm relying on you guys for advice and help . I'm off touring Scotland in a couple of weeks time, I hope I come across some of you on my travels

Comment

We may see you somewhere in Scotland as we leave Essex on 6th July and are heading to Scotland too. We tried last year but the weather was awfull so we came home. We got as far as Holy Island. We are planning on getting to Loch Lomond but that depends on the time we have & the weather of course.

Comment

scottish hols

We leave Northumberland on 29th June heading up to cairngorms then Moray Coast where I used to live. Across to Gairloch on the west then back down. If you go to Loch Lomand give the site at Aardgarten a miss, parents have just come back and had to leave early because of the midges. Hope you enjoyed Holy Island, I live not far away from there, we have some beautiful places to visit up here. Would love to meet up with anyone if they are up here visiting

Comment

Originally posted by tilli10 View Post
                  I'm worried that the next handle will go the same way as the door needs to be slammed closed then yanked open.
                  There is a 'turnbuckle' on the bottom half of the stable door on my hylo. If that is turned to the right (looking from the inside), it provides a second pulling point to close the door from the first catch to the fully closed position. That halves the pressure on the loop handle of the latch if the door is difficult to close because of an oversized seal.

When closing from the outside, apply horizontal pressure on the catch while turning to open.

Comment

Thanks Roger, mine is not a stable door, but thanks for the advice. New handle has not arrived yet but will keep you updated

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X