Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Romini ELectrics

Hi All

New member here and on for some advice if possible.
    We've recently bought a Romini Caravan and are about to get a tow bar fitted to the car. Can anyone advise which of the two leads is the one which powers the back lights and indicators? One lead and socket is black, the other is grey. Any advice appreciated, thanks.

Hi Gerry

welcome to our friendly community. It's a long time since I've had a caravan but from memory the black plug is the indicators etc., the grey plug is for the leisure battery.

hopefully someone will be along to confirm that.
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

If wired as standard throughout the industry, Graham is spot on.
      The black plug handles everything except power from the vehicle to the caravan domestic electrical system which MAY include a leisure battery. Depending on choice the car may charge the leisure battery with the engine running via the grey plug.
      If you have a fridge with 12 volt facility the grey plug will enable the fridge to operate on 12 volts fed by the car charging system on the move.
      The grey plug was introduced to leave a terminal free in the black plug to operate high intensity fog warning lights which the caravan MUST have if they are fitted to the car.
      I cheat though! My car does not have high intensity foglights (it is too old) and so my Romini wiring has been modified to use only a black plug as I do not need the extra terminal for the rear fog lights.
      Hope this explains a few things.
      Jim.

PS. I have no idea where you are as your profile is blank. But if you live close enough I would be willing to explain "on the job".
      Last edited by Twolitre; 07-07-2014, 07:30.
      Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Originally posted by Twolitre View Post

Well that makes a change, when I try to give technical advice it's usually totally wrong.
        Graham
        Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

………. you'll find lots of advice and ideas here!

Comment

I couldn't see any point to the grey socket on my caravan. It was a 1982, no fridge (for a 12v relay on the grey) and no battery charger (which would also have been on a relay) and no 12v plug socket for powering 12 chargers, etc, either!. I eventually found out it was to power the caravan 12v lights from a funny extension lead from the car battery!

As my car only has the black plug, and that works all the car lights, etc., I have never used the grey lead, although its still there as I don't know how to disconnect it!

I have never needed to have the fridge on 12v power whilst on the move. I had a fridge fitted after I bought the caravan, but didn't have a 12v connection put in for it. I keep my food cool by freezing food for the next day or two, and using ice packs, then I just switch it on when I get where I'm going.

No idea whether I have hi-viz fog lights on the van or not, suspect not!

Comment

Doesn't the grey plug also power the reverse lights on the caravan, if fitted?
              Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

Originally posted by glenw View Post
                Doesn't the grey plug also power the reverse lights on the caravan, if fitted?
                It could Glen, though I don't think it is a legal requirement or a normal practice. After all only ONE terminal is in normal use in the grey plug leaving the others dormant.
                And jayjay. IF YOUR CAR HAS HIGH INTENSITY FOG REAR LAMPS I am SURE it is OBLIGATORY to have them on your 'van.
                In which case your grey plug should be needed.
                'Vans have been fitted with fog lamps for many years past as is my 1988 Romini! The reason I can legally get away without using them is that my (older) car does not have them and there is no Law saying I must fit them. I hope!
                Jim.

Comment

The black plug handles everything except power from the vehicle to the caravan domestic electrical system which MAY include a leisure battery. Depending on choice the car may charge the leisure battery with the engine running via the grey plug.
                  If you have a fridge with 12 volt facility the grey plug will enable the fridge to operate on 12 volts fed by the car charging system on the move.
                  The grey plug was introduced to leave a terminal free in the black plug to operate high intensity fog warning lights which the caravan MUST have if they are fitted to the car.
                  I cheat though! My car does not have high intensity foglights (it is too old) and so my Romini wiring has been modified to use only a black plug as I do not need the extra terminal for the rear fog lights.
                  Hope this explains a few things.
                  Jim.

PS. I have no idea where you are as your profile is blank. But if you live close enough I would be willing to explain "on the job".
                  Thanks for all the advice, very much appreciated by this couple of newbies!!
                  We're in EK on the south side of Glasgow, if it's close enough any help would be appreciated.

Comment

Sorry Gerry you are over 200 miles from me. But if you feel like a trip to Chesterfield..........................
                    Jim.

Comment

By the way Gerry,
                      This photo is posted elsewhere on the forum, but I am re-posting it so that you may see why my car has no rear fog lamps.
                      Jim.
                      Attached Files

Comment

And jayjay. IF YOUR CAR HAS HIGH INTENSITY FOG REAR LAMPS I am SURE it is OBLIGATORY to have them on your 'van.

Jim.
                        Don't think so - my car is ancient too! It just has the standard fog lamps I think.

Comment

1980 is the crunch date jayjay. If your car is less than 24 years old it should have them jayjay. It is possible for "grey imports" to have sneaked in without them but they should have been retro fitted.
                          The Law requires any car produced in that year or later must have at least one rear fog light. Which incidentally may only be lawfully used in fog or falling snow.
                          By the way mine is 46 years old.
                          Jim.
                          Last edited by Twolitre; 08-07-2014, 10:59.

Comment

By the way Gerry,
                            This photo is posted elsewhere on the forum, but I am re-posting it so that you may see why my car has no rear fog lamps.
                            Jim.
                            what a great picture!!

Comment