Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Hello!

    Newbie (f) here again. Does anybody know if there are any solo friendly campsites in Cumbria? My wonderful partner has unfortunately passed away. This will be my first foray into the unknown. Mixed feelings.

    #2
    …. every day's a learning curve and things can be scary, even when we want them

    Have a browse round here. I'm sure someone will be along with advice, otherwise do a web search for sites in your area and drive on for a visit. We did that very early on, spending a lot of time talking with the owners as well as people with campers. Everyone was very welcoming.

    Comment


      #3
      Hello Lola and welcome to the forum, I'm so sorry to hear about your partner it must be a really difficult time for you. we have a lot of solo campers on here you would be very welcome at one of our meets. We have one next weekend at Sherwood Forest in Nottinghamshire, see the "fancy meeting up" section.

      I don't think any campsite would be unfriendly to a solo camper, we see lots of people on their own when we are camping, most campers are a friendly lot and I'm sure you could find someone to talk to.

      Meanwhile have a browse round the site and join in the chat you'll soon become a regular it's veryy addictive.

      Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
      Graham
      Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

      Comment


        #4
        Hello

        Originally posted by Lola15 View Post
        Newbie (f) here again. Does anybody know if there are any solo friendly campsites in Cumbria? My wonderful partner has unfortunately passed away. This will be my first foray into the unknown. Mixed feelings.
        Hi, sorry about your loss. I can relate to how your feeling having lost my partner last August last year. I would suggest that you also join the New Companions as they are all single, widowed or divorced,they will certainly be able to guide you too. Regards Pat from Devon.

        Comment


          #5
          Not being very helpful I suppose.
          But I lost my wife ten years ago come Christmas. Leaving a void in my life which I feel no one can fill.
          I tried using our caravan just once alone. And promptly sold it! I got no joy in such a familiar surrounding on my own.
          I did wonder about ventures like New Companions, but I felt that they were not for me. There was a void I could not even consider "filling". And for every day living I have plenty of friends anyway.
          The turn around for me was the chance sighting of my Romini on a local car sales pitch. When curiosity led me to stop and have a look.
          Immediately I stepped through the door I got the impression that it was built for me to be on my own.
          Big enough for solo comfort and small enough to feel "homely" on my own.
          That started a trend of changing my life. Taking up motorcycling and gaining new friends and contributing to this forum where I subsequently met so many helpful people and friendly people via "meets". Who I hope (perhaps better to say "believe) are now friends.
          My solution seems to have been to change my social life. And perhaps organisations like "New Companions" is great for those seeking a new partner. But not for me.
          As for "Companions". What is the definition? To me it suggests a life-sharing situation. But I feel I am NOT "available" and this forum has helped fill the void for me. And even as I type this I am visualising the people I have met because of the forum.

          I must add a BIG thank-you to Graham and Pauline Who possibly have no idea of what they have done.
          JimW.
          Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

          Comment


            #6
            New Companions is most decidedly NOT a dating agency.It is set up for single people who are single for lots of different reasons, and have decided to stay that way, to meet and make new friends.I joined and went to some of their meets, they are lovely friendly souls, very laid back, all walks of life and all ages.
            Now I'm with Sue I'm no longer eligible for their meets, but I joined this forum group at the same time as well as the Romaclub.So I have plenty to do.

            New Companions has a lot to offer, don't hesitate to join!
            Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Twolitre View Post

              I must add a BIG thank-you to Graham and Pauline Who possibly have no idea of what they have done.
              JimW.
              Thanks Jim, I think we do have some idea as we too have found friends and support from all you lovely people here. But we do have each other and your situation is something I just can't imagine, so to know we have helped in some small way is heartwarming.
              ______________
              Guardian of the Ducks
              2 2 2 2 2 2 2 Quack!

              Comment


                #8
                Originally posted by Ian.C.S View Post
                New Companions is most decidedly NOT a dating agency.It is set up for single people who are single for lots of different reasons, and have decided to stay that way, to meet and make new friends.I joined and went to some of their meets, they are lovely friendly souls, very laid back, all walks of life and all ages.
                Now I'm with Sue I'm no longer eligible for their meets, but I joined this forum group at the same time as well as the Romaclub.So I have plenty to do.

                New Companions has a lot to offer, don't hesitate to join!
                Thanks Ian,
                I did start by intending to point out what the word "companions" suggested to me. Hence the reference to definition. But I seem to have been carried away by my thoughts.
                JimW.
                Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Ian.C.S View Post
                  Now I'm with Sue I'm no longer eligible for their meets
                  Their loss is our gain, the one thing with this group is that no matter how your circumstances change you are welcome. You can find a partner, change your vehicle etc we have no rules on membership.

                  Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
                  Graham
                  Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Hi Lola! Sorry to hear of your loss also.

                    As the others have said, there are very few if any, actual 'singles' campsites. There are plenty of ordinary campsites in Cumbria though... a nice one at Allonby on the coast by the leisure centre.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Hello

                      Originally posted by Twolitre View Post
                      Not being very helpful I suppose.
                      But I lost my wife ten years ago come Christmas. Leaving a void in my life which I feel no one can fill.
                      I tried using our caravan just once alone. And promptly sold it! I got no joy in such a familiar surrounding on my own.
                      I did wonder about ventures like New Companions, but I felt that they were not for me. There was a void I could not even consider "filling". And for every day living I have plenty of friends anyway.
                      The turn around for me was the chance sighting of my Romini on a local car sales pitch. When curiosity led me to stop and have a look.
                      Immediately I stepped through the door I got the impression that it was built for me to be on my own.
                      Big enough for solo comfort and small enough to feel "homely" on my own.
                      That started a trend of changing my life. Taking up motorcycling and gaining new friends and contributing to this forum where I subsequently met so many helpful people and friendly people via "meets". Who I hope (perhaps better to say "believe) are now friends.
                      My solution seems to have been to change my social life. And perhaps organisations like "New Companions" is great for those seeking a new partner. But not for me.
                      As for "Companions". What is the definition? To me it suggests a life-sharing situation. But I feel I am NOT "available" and this forum has helped fill the void for me. And even as I type this I am visualising the people I have met because of the forum.

                      I must add a BIG thank-you to Graham and Pauline Who possibly have no idea of what they have done.
                      JimW.
                      The new Companions is strictly not a dating community it soley for friendship with others when camping alone. . their is a chronicle given each month giving meets up and down the country arranged by different hosts in each area. I find both this site and the new companions very friendly and helpful.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        New Companions

                        I joined the new Companions almost as soon as I bought my little campervan. I wanted to make new friends, people who shared an interest in travel and in meeting other people, not for romance but for friendship. I was looking for a new direction in life.

                        A local member contacted me, we met up for coffee in town, and within minutes I felt as if we had always been friends. Sadly, I never actually made it to one of their meets but am sure they would be friendly events. I felt it would be too much, attending regular meets from four different groups:

                        WildCamping (I thoroughly enjoyed the two ladies meets I attended),
                        New Companions,
                        Romaclub (interesting, some very pleasant people, perhaps a little bit more formal than SMHF?)
                        SMHF

                        I have stuck with the SMHF - you lucky people! though Ian and I still go along to an occasional Romaclub meeting
                        Carpe diem! :)

                        Comment


                          #13
                          I have had an email asking about the New Companions Club and how to find it. Just to be clear to anyone who is confused The New Companions Club is nothing to do with this forum, they are an independent club and as such charge a membership fee every year.

                          The Small Motorhome and Friends Group is a group of like minded people who chat on line and occasionally meet up to enjoy each others company and there is no subscription, you don't have to be a solo camper, we have solo campers, couples, families, in fact we take any rag, tag or bobtail.
                          Graham
                          Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

                          Comment


                            #14
                            I'm sorry to read of the loss of your partner.

                            I'm also a female solo camper. Although I rarely use campsites, on the occasions when I have there have been other solo campers and these are generally the first to approach (or be approached). Most are interesting people from a variety of backgrounds.

                            My only advice would be to look for a site which charges per person or, if the prices are per pitch (usually for a family of four) then it's usually possible to negotiate a more reasonable price. I've never paid more than £7 per night or £10 with EHU.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              camping in Sherwood Forest

                              Originally posted by Graham View Post
                              Hello Lola and welcome to the forum, I'm so sorry to hear about your partner it must be a really difficult time for you. we have a lot of solo campers on here you would be very welcome at one of our meets. We have one next weekend at Sherwood Forest in Nottinghamshire, see the "fancy meeting up" section.

                              I don't think any campsite would be unfriendly to a solo camper, we see lots of people on their own when we are camping, most campers are a friendly lot and I'm sure you could find someone to talk to.

                              Meanwhile have a browse round the site and join in the chat you'll soon become a regular it's veryy addictive.

                              Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
                              I think it's a bit too cold without electric hook up at the moment. My van isn't insulated

                              Comment

                              Related Topics

                              Collapse

                              • churst
                                Recently Retired!
                                by churst
                                Have been out with my new R40 to the Peak District, Rowan Park CC Site and am headed up north tomorrow for a couple of weeks.

                                I'm sure...
                                08-07-2010, 19:04
                              • dencol
                                First try out as a solo camper
                                by dencol
                                First try out as a ‘solo camper’

                                The van has been sat on the drive for 2 ½ years due to my ill health (and the loss of...
                                25-05-2013, 22:46
                              • staffy
                                Hello to all campers
                                by staffy
                                hello newbie here sayin hii
                                03-10-2013, 16:03
                              • marg
                                Hello, just joined
                                by marg
                                Looks an interesting forum, Haven`t done a lot of touring, usually on my own with my dog, anyone in my area? hope to meet up with some of you. Finding...
                                25-02-2016, 16:31
                              • buranda
                                hello
                                by buranda
                                My name is Buranda I am new to this site, I live in Somerset now,I am from from The holy land (Yorkshire}
                                My wife has Alzheimers and is now in...
                                24-02-2014, 16:37

                              320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

                              Collapse

                              728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X