This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guten Tag

First of all, confession time. My Log in is not my real name (surprise) also I registered before I had a really good look at the site, so my idea of a small motorhome is around the seven metre mark. My wife (The Management) and I are not really small people so I do not think the sort of vehicle this site is aimed at would accomodate us, plus a very small doggie. We think of it as small because we downsized to our present motorhome, a Chausson Welcome. I had to obtain a medical in order to keep the required group on my driving licence on reaching the age of 70 and it took six months before I got it back. As the driving licence was only valid for three years I made up my mind that I was not prepared to go through that experience again and purchased our present machine. I should explain, I suffer from sleep apnea which is well controlled, and gives me no problems at all until you declare it to the DVLA that is! The smallest motorhome we ever owned was a Toyota based Hi-Ace. You could not access it from the cab, it was petrol driven, underpowered. Little more than a shed on wheels and slept 2 adults and three kids. It had a fridge of sorts and a foot operated pump pulled the water up from a 5 gallon Jerrican, no exterior filler, you had to haul it from the watering point. I still have nightmares about it I always dreamed of owning a Volkswagen kamper but never got around to it. Oh well, dream on. In the meantime if you can ignore the above (in terms of size) I will continue to watch with interest. Good site, long may it reign.

Originally posted by HansZinderfaan View Post
    First of all, confession time. My Log in is not my real name (surprise) also I registered before I had a really good look at the site, so my idea of a small motorhome is around the seven metre mark. My wife (The Management) and I are not really small people so I do not think the sort of vehicle this site is aimed at would accomodate us, plus a very small doggie. We think of it as small because we downsized to our present motorhome, a Chausson Welcome. I had to obtain a medical in order to keep the required group on my driving licence on reaching the age of 70 and it took six months before I got it back. As the driving licence was only valid for three years I made up my mind that I was not prepared to go through that experience again and purchased our present machine. I should explain, I suffer from sleep apnea which is well controlled, and gives me no problems at all until you declare it to the DVLA that is! The smallest motorhome we ever owned was a Toyota based Hi-Ace. You could not access it from the cab, it was petrol driven, underpowered. Little more than a shed on wheels and slept 2 adults and three kids. It had a fridge of sorts and a foot operated pump pulled the water up from a 5 gallon Jerrican, no exterior filler, you had to haul it from the watering point. I still have nightmares about it I always dreamed of owning a Volkswagen kamper but never got around to it. Oh well, dream on. In the meantime if you can ignore the above (in terms of size) I will continue to watch with interest. Good site, long may it reign.
    you are still welcome here,and there is no reason why you should not join us on our meets - size is a matter of mind.
    I look forward to meeting you both.
    Aufwiedersien.
    Ian
    Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

.......so my idea of a small motorhome is around the seven metre mark. My wife (The Management) and I are not really small people so I do not think the sort of vehicle this site is aimed at would accomodate us, plus a very small doggie...........

Thats about the same size as our motorhome and they haven't managed to get rid of us yet!!

Welcome to the forum, stick around, you'll be made more than welcome I can assure you. The forum has recently added 'and friends' to its logo so it encompasses everyone!!
      Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

You are very welcome here. As others have said the "Small" in Small Motorhome is not really applicable anymore that is why we added "and friends", we accept any old riff raff here as GlenW will tell you.
        Graham
        Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

If you can camp in it you are welcome here

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
            ...... we accept any old riff raff here as GlenW will tell you.

Oiy, I resemble that remark!!
            Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

Love the user name.

Comment

Guten Tag

More of an update really. The Chausson has gone and we purchased a Bailey SE740 in June this year. The Chausson, good as it was, had outlived its usefulness. The management (wife) had a hip operation in 2011 and become one of the statistics that did not benefit from it. So many people said it was the best thing they had ever done but for her the recovery did not work. As a result she still suffers the pain associated with it and can now walk very little without the aid of a stick. The Chausson had a front dinette and gave little floor space in return making it difficult to get about inside. There is only so much you can squeeze in a space and still keep it under 3.5 metric tonnes. The Bailey aptly named Bill was in fact very similar to the Elddis Autostratus which we had before the Chausson, brilliant, bags of floor space to move around in and lower to the ground making access easier through the habitation door. I could go on for hours about the benefits but suffice to say it ticks all the boxes for us. So far hardly any trips for warranty work and only one niggling problem that can wait until the next service. Just seven days after purchase saw us in the Dordogne with Bill fully run in. The Euro 5 engine is a joy and about 5 mpg better than the old one. It's currently laid up for winter but you can bet as soon as the sun comes out again we will be back on the road.

Comment

Hi. Welcome to the forum. Look forward to meeting you both at one of the meets - perhaps the Great Spring rally?
                  Carpe diem! :)

Comment

And Hello and welcome from me too!

Comment

Don't wash it over 40

That's what I did, I now have an R20 LOL

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X