1992 Citroen C15D Romahome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1992 Citroen C15D Romahome

Hello Good People. After 20 years of caravanning we have bought our first camper - ain't she just dinky! We felt we could manage in the small space - with a bit of careful thought and have been titivating her over the last 2 weeks (first outing next weekend). I have problems/issues - I have no handbook to guide me (can I get one?) so am struggling to get my head around the internal workings. The fridge (original Electrolux by the look of it) appears to run on gas only - but I can't get it to fire up. If it is gas only, I'll change it over the winter to include 240/12v - are there problems? I'd rather just have 240/12v as we generally stay on Club sites with hook-up but that option doesn't seem available (or does it?). If you want to drain the water tank does it have to be done using the tap or is there a drain plug? - can't see one. I'm not certain that the leisure battery is charging when travelling (it has a battery charge indicator but it doesn't seem to move from 2 green lights) On the outside, the stripes are quite scratched and in poor nick so would like to replace them. I phoned Romahome (I.o.W) but they say the supplier has gone the way of all flesh - have you overcome this problem? I'd be very grateful for any help the Forum can provide so thanks in anticipation. Kind regards to all, AndrewS (shortly to be living it large in a small space!)

Originally posted by AndrewS View Post
    Hello Good People. After 20 years of caravanning we have bought our first camper - ain't she just dinky! We felt we could manage in the small space - with a bit of careful thought and have been titivating her over the last 2 weeks (first outing next weekend). I have problems/issues - I have no handbook to guide me (can I get one?) so am struggling to get my head around the internal workings. The fridge (original Electrolux by the look of it) appears to run on gas only - but I can't get it to fire up. If it is gas only, I'll change it over the winter to include 240/12v - are there problems? I'd rather just have 240/12v as we generally stay on Club sites with hook-up but that option doesn't seem available (or does it?). If you want to drain the water tank does it have to be done using the tap or is there a drain plug? - can't see one. I'm not certain that the leisure battery is charging when travelling (it has a battery charge indicator but it doesn't seem to move from 2 green lights) On the outside, the stripes are quite scratched and in poor nick so would like to replace them. I phoned Romahome (I.o.W) but they say the supplier has gone the way of all flesh - have you overcome this problem? I'd be very grateful for any help the Forum can provide so thanks in anticipation. Kind regards to all, AndrewS (shortly to be living it large in a small space!)
    Hi Andrew

Welcome to the family, you have made a good choice the C15 Romahomes are lovely, it's a while since we owned one and my memory is fading as to the internal workings but we have lots of manuals on our website to download which may help you until someone comes along who has a C15 and can help you.

Here is the downloads page http://www.smallmotorhome.co.uk/downloads.html

Good luck with your van I'm sure you will find it great fun.
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Many thanks

Many thanks for the welcome Graham. I don't see a manual for the C15 in your store. It would be a massive help if someone out there has one that they could copy for me. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Thanks again. AndrewS

Comment

Many thanks for the welcome Graham. I don't see a manual for the C15 in your store. It would be a massive help if someone out there has one that they could copy for me. I'll keep my fingers crossed. Thanks again. AndrewS
        There is a C15 Hylo manual there, I think most of the things will be exactly the same for the HiTop which you have except obviously it has a raising roof which yours haven't other than that everything else will be the same.

Here's the download http://www.smallmotorhome.co.uk/Reso...0copyright.pdf
        Graham
        Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

I think c15s did vary a bit as time went on..mine is y reg. On mine..no drain specific to water tank...use tap to drain (but don't have tap running continuously for too long) siphon or sponge out remainder if you wish. The sink waste on mine is just a pipe that comes out below the van...I put a bucket underneath.

Mine does not have a battery indicator for leisure battery....it charges up on ehu and when I am driving...lights are always OK so I assume battery is OK. If you can see name of your "zig" unit, you could try googling for a manual if there isn't one here in the downloads section.

Fridge..again, if no manual here try google. My fridge is 3 way but currently not working on gas..(suspect thermocouple gone but no nearby places to repair.) .do a search on threads here and you'll find lots of info/advice on fridges.
          Stripes..black? how about insulating tape? Not sure if it would work or not.

Sorry I am not much help..hope someone more knowledgable can advise. Also if you do a search on threads here, you'll find answers to most problems...I have found the forum invaluable

Enjoy it..rather quirky but living/storage space hard to better for the size of van

Comment

Many thanks

Many thanks for taking the time to respond - it's greatly appreciated and useful to hear your advice. I'll do as you say and spend some more trawling Google. As you say, the answers are out, it's just a question of tracking them down. Many thanks again, AndrewS

Comment

That's grand!!

Originally posted by Graham View Post
              There is a C15 Hylo manual there, I think most of the things will be exactly the same for the HiTop which you have except obviously it has a raising roof which yours haven't other than that everything else will be the same.

Here's the download http://www.smallmotorhome.co.uk/Reso...0copyright.pdf
              Ah Graham, you're a grand fellow!! you're quite right - that's the manual I was looking for. There's a suggestion that the fridge has a 12v switch to select (rather than the gas option) but the only switch I've got is for gas. If that's not activated and I push the 'fridge' button on the dash perhaps that is all that's needed to keep the fridge down to temperature when travelling? I'll give it a go. Many thanks again. AndrewS

Comment

My fridge has switch on dash for 12v, switch near fridge for electric (looks like a simple light switch) and two temp controls - one for electric (inside fridge) and one for gas (outside). Maybe yours is not a 3 way - once working on gas this will not be a problem. Mine was very effective on gas. also if you put some frozen stuff in before you start out (eg frozen casseroles, sausages, frozen milk - if you use skim or semi not full fat etc etc) then you will find that the fridge will keep pretty cold for a long time - unless of course you plan to go somewhere very very warm.

Comment

The Fridge!!

Many thanks for the info and advice. Yes, mine's an RM122 gas and 12v only. There isn't a 12v selector down on the bottom of the fridge just temperature 0-3 and a rocker switch which is the igniter - I've now read the manual and done everything that's suggested but it still won't fire up. I'll take it to a dealer workshop next week and see if it's just me or if the fridge is defunct (or a bit of it). We're away in her this weekend but can manage without a fridge for one night. As I said earlier, I'd really like the 240v option so will either pay up (£370 for the RM123) or try the 240v only option at £120. Who knows, perhaps Father Christmas will have one or the other kicking around that he's keen to get shot of. Many thanks again for your help and kind regards, AndrewS

Comment

Is the fridge light sparking? Mine sparks but will only stay lit if I hold the button in --- difficult to do that while driving.

Some threads here have suggested it might be just dirty and advise removing fridge - however I am not up to that. Could also be a thermocouple - again something simple to replace but I am 130 miles from nearest place to repair.

Fridge quite expensive to replace - as you have found -- and you will have to add in the cost of fitting or checking. Mine was (and will be once again one of these days) VERY effective on gas so unless you really have money to spare I would recommend you see if you can get the gas side working without too much expense. But try it for a while - you may be surprised how easy it is to manage without.

Depends of course on how long you plan to be away for.

If it is currently working on 12v (via dashboard) and you have really cold stuff in to start with (maybe plus a cooker pack or too), you may well find you can last a few days on that. Just like having a cool box plugged in - and that is all some of the micro campers have.

By the way - to work on gas, fridge needs to be perfectly level. An important issue when whild camping as you may not be totally level!

Comment

The bloomin' fridge

Many thanks for that advice. There's a small pull down 'viewing' tunnel where I would imagine you may be able to see 'sparking' - if it occurs - but I can't see any vital signs down there. I did try poking a gas lighter down there in the hope that I could manually ignite the pilot but it was a forlorn hope. I'll pay up and look big and get it checked out. Re the 12v system, I had it it my mind that it was only good for maintaining the temperature and perhaps was not man enough to bring the fridge down to temperature but I am possibly wrong? On the gas side, another thought I had was that as we only have a tiddly camping gaz bottle (x2) I'd be forever dashing off to get a replacement (very little energy these days for dashing anywhere) but perhaps the fridge is more economical than I anticipate. As you say, a new fridge doesn't come cheap but as I hope to have the camper for a number of years the investment may be worthwhile - plus if I'm on site with hook-up I'd rather be running with the electricity that I'm paying for - leastways that's what I'm talking myself into. We are in the trial and error stage at the moment so I'm certain in the fullness of time, we'll get the systems to our satisfaction. If seen on the road he's called 'Brian Snail' (okay not very original - suspect there are dozens out there) complete with logo so give us a toot! Regards, Andrew

Comment

Brian snail - may well clash with another forum member

I think my gas is called 907 - blue bottle about 18" high - lives in outside locker - lasts for absolutely ages on my cooking methods (ie not too much) - in fact I haven't bought a new one since I bought my van 4 yrs ago ( but I did have similar bottles unfinished from previous camping expeditions with a tent)

A check /habitation check is a worth while investment for a new to you van. Whether or not you do a habitation check - a Co2 monitor would be a good investment. My van has 2 /3 levels of gas protection - 1) turn off at cylinder 2) turn off knob under sink 3) turn off at cooker... but I still have a Co2 monitor -- better safe than your family/friends be sorry (you won't be sorry cos you probably wouldn't know anything about it:-)

Have to say I haven't done habitation check since shortly after buying my van - distance to checking point is the issue - but I do have CO2 monitor

yes... if are are paying EHU - why not use it? I like EHU for winter camping cos I can plug in my little fan heater and be very comfortable -- but am aware that other units paying the same are probably using far more electricity than I am. Very few sites are metered so you pay the same however much you use. but it would take a while to recoup the investment of a new fridge

Comment

Following

Following this thread - and will take time to read later- as I've just acquired a Romahome C15 and wondered about some of the questions above. I am new to campsites too. Do people generally fill the water tank at home, or is it more easily done at a site?

Comment

Originally posted by MairifaeInsch View Post
                            Following this thread - and will take time to read later- as I've just acquired a Romahome C15 and wondered about some of the questions above. I am new to campsites too. Do people generally fill the water tank at home, or is it more easily done at a site?
                            It depends on the campsite and whether you can get the van to the tap.

Some people don't use their water tanks at all and prefer to get fresh water in containers, we use the tank water for washing and doing the pots but prefer fresh for drinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
                            Graham

Comment

Many thanks for that advice. There's a small pull down 'viewing' tunnel where I would imagine you may be able to see 'sparking' - if it occurs - but I can't see any vital signs down there. I did try poking a gas lighter down there in the hope that I could manually ignite the pilot but it was a forlorn hope.
                              If it's not been used for ages, it will take a long time to get the spark to light as it may well be damp. Try blowing a hairdryer gently down the viewing tunnel and underneath to get it warm and blow off the cobwebs. Then be aware that you have to look right to the back in order to see the spark. If you can see a spark, turn the gas to the highest setting, press the button to spark whilst at the same time pressing the gas button in as well. (So you turn on the gas button to high and press the button in towards the fridge, otherwise you won't get any gas.) If mine was left for a long time, it would take ages to spark and light, up to 15 minutes. The gas takes a long time to get through the pipes, I would sometimes turn on a gas ring on the cooker to help it to pull through. Be aware also, that at this time of year, if the gas is really cold, then it takes longer to work, but this usually only happens at around the zero/freezing mark. If the gas 'pops' and you see a little flame at the back of the fridge, then keep the gas button pressed right in for around about a minute or two, so that the thermocoupler warms up and the gas stays on. It may pop a few times before it catches if it hasn't been used for a while. Keep going!!

Another thing to mention is that there is also a switch somwhere inside for the gas fridge. So you have to turn the gas on at the bottle, and also at a switch somewhere near to the fridge in order for the gas to come through. The times I spent trying to get the gas to light but I had forgotten to turn on the inside switch!

You have to look right to the back to see the spark, like looking down a long long tunnel. If there's not spark after trying all the above, you could buy a new piezzo igniter and replace it as it's pretty easy to do.

The 12v system isn't that good. Mine worked, but you could only tell if you had done 75 miles or more! I never bothered with it, I just turned my fridge into a cool box for the time I was on the road, using freezer blocks and frozen food to keep it cool along the way.

The fridge doesn't use much gas. Even with the tiddly camping gaz bottles, you could run mine every day for a fortnight on gaz without running out. It uses a lot to get it down to temp. (hence the cooling things down with freezer blocks) but once at the set temp and turned to the lowest setting, it didn't use very much at all.
                              Last edited by jayjay; 05-03-2016, 10:05.

Comment