Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Romahome Duo newbies

Hi everyone,
    Just a quick message. Will be picking up our used 1998 Romahome Duo in a few weeks time.
    Recently retired, never owned a motorhome before, or done any camping come to that.
    My wife has been on to me so decided to give it a try.
    We don't really want to get to heavily involved with clubs and that sort of thing.
    We will use it to go out and stay for one or two nights at first and see how we get on.
    Any suggestions and advice on where to stay and what sort or sites would be helpful.
    We live in Caerphilly, south Wales, so quite near to many places to visit.

Welcome!

I've stayed a few times in a pub car park in Caerphilly, they're friendly and the food was good, no charge for parking overnight so you can have a drink - but probably too close for home for you!

Comment

Hi and welcome.

You could do worse than start off by reading this excellent Forum article:-

http://www.smallmotorhome.co.uk/camp...mahomeduo.html

We have an R20, which is the successor to the Duo, but ours is the "Lo" version which has less storage space, not having the top cupboards and a smaller Luton (why is it called that?). You do need to be very disciplined when moving things around or they get buried and lost!

If you've never done any camping at all before, then you'd have to be braver than I am to start off other than on an organised site! Lots of people on here will tell you of the delights of wild-camping, and they're no doubt right, but I suspect even they wouldn't recommend it for a first trip!

An internet search will bring up plenty of information and reviews of independent commercial sites of all sizes and types, as well as the clubs. There are a number on this website too!

If you're looking for a reasonably nearby site to try out, I can only comment on the two sites I've stayed at in SW Wales, both Camping and Caravanning Club sites. Cardigan Bay (about 5 miles south of New Quay) we enjoyed. St.Davids, not so much, but that was mostly down to the manager.
      He was actually fine with us, but clearly enjoyed displaying his authority to some, and certainly wasn't having any of this "modernisation" nonsense on his "traditional" site (to be fair, the price reflected it). The weather was pretty ropey too!
      However, that was 10 years ago, he's since retired, and I believe the site facilities have been upgraded. Can't speak for the weather though!

You don't need to join the club, though you will pay a higher fee and it doesn't take many nights before that adds up to more than the membership. You certainly don't have to get "heavily involved" in the club if you don't want too. We certainly haven't in 10 years! Regrettably, I think I rather upset one neighbouring camper I got into conversation with because we'd no idea, or interest, which "District Association " we're nominally part of.
      Geoff

Comment

Welcome to the world of Romahoming!

I live not too far from you in Cardiff. A really nice quiet site I'd recommend for a first trip would be this one near Builth Wells:

https://fforestfields.co.uk

There's plenty of small sites in the Abergavenny/Monmouth area too. A search on Google maps should give you plenty to choose from.

John

PS. If you need a 25m electric hook up lead or a Camping Gaz 907 cylinder (empty) send me a Private Message and we can sort something out.
        Last edited by JohnDL; 28-04-2016, 15:25.

Comment

Originally posted by humphreys10 View Post
          Hi everyone,
          Just a quick message. Will be picking up our used 1998 Romahome Duo in a few weeks time.
          Recently retired, never owned a motorhome before, or done any camping come to that.
          My wife has been on to me so decided to give it a try.
          We don't really want to get to heavily involved with clubs and that sort of thing.
          We will use it to go out and stay for one or two nights at first and see how we get on.
          Any suggestions and advice on where to stay and what sort or sites would be helpful.
          We live in Caerphilly, south Wales, so quite near to many places to visit.
          You've made a good choice, we had two Romahome Duo's and loved them, you will find that they are perfect for travelling around and parking in a normal car parking space, they drive just like a car. You are right to just go for a night or couple of nights to start with, try everything out and test things to see how you get on. If you have bought from a dealer and it is under warranty I would find a campsite near the dealer for your first night so that you can test everything.

Pick a decent campsite, cheap isn't always the best, I would suggest a good site with a resident warden in case you need any help, although other campervan owners will no doubt be pleased to help if you need it. The Camping and Caravanning Club sites are always very good with immaculate toilets and showers and if you are over a certain age you can get age discount at certain times of the year. You don't have to be heavily involved in the Club as Geoff says just turn up and enjoy camping.

If you decide to go for any longer stays on campsites you may find that a drive away awning is good for giving you that extra bit of living space, you can leave it on site to mark you pitch and drive off sight seeing and then come back and attach it back on to your van again.

You will no doubt have lots of questions if you are completely new to camping so don't be afraid to ask any specific question you have, we all had to start somewhere.
          Graham
          Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Hi,
            Thanks for your information.
            Never been on these forums before.
            If I need to reply to people that have responded to me do I reply via quote or return via thread?
            Thanks, David

Comment

Originally posted by JohnDL View Post
              Welcome to the world of Romahoming!

I live not too far from you in Cardiff. A really nice quiet site I'd recommend for a first trip would be this one near Builth Wells:

https://fforestfields.co.uk

There's plenty of small sites in the Abergavenny/Monmouth area too. A search on Google maps should give you plenty to choose from.

John

PS. If you need a 25m electric hook up lead or a Camping Gaz 907 cylinder (empty) send me a Private Message and we can sort something out.
              Hi,
              If I need to reply to people that have responded to me do I reply via quote or return via thread?
              Thanks, David

Comment

Hi,
                Sorry, all this is new to me. Sorry if the answer is obvious!
                Thanks, David

Comment

Originally posted by humphreys10 View Post
                  Hi, Thanks for your information. Never been on these forums before. If I need to reply to people that have responded to me do I reply via quote or return via thread? Sorry, all this is new to me. Sorry if the answer is obvious! Thanks, David
                  Hi David

If you are replying to a particular post you can quote the post but if you are just relying to the thread in general there is no need to quote.

But don't worry too much there are no set rules, you aren't being marked

about:blank
                  Graham
                  Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
                    Hi David

If you are replying to a particular post you can quote the post but if you are just relying to the thread in general there is no need to quote.

But don't worry too much there are no set rules, you aren't being marked

about:blank
                    Thank you Graham. It's a learning curve. So glad I'm not being marked, though!

Comment

Luton top

Originally posted by Artoo0 View Post
                      Hi and welcome.

You could do worse than start off by reading this excellent Forum article:-

http://www.smallmotorhome.co.uk/camp...mahomeduo.html

We have an R20, which is the successor to the Duo, but ours is the "Lo" version which has less storage space, not having the top cupboards and a smaller Luton (why is it called that?). You do need to be very disciplined when moving things around or they get buried and lost!

If you've never done any camping at all before, then you'd have to be braver than I am to start off other than on an organised site! Lots of people on here will tell you of the delights of wild-camping, and they're no doubt right, but I suspect even they wouldn't recommend it for a first trip!

An internet search will bring up plenty of information and reviews of independent commercial sites of all sizes and types, as well as the clubs. There are a number on this website too!

If you're looking for a reasonably nearby site to try out, I can only comment on the two sites I've stayed at in SW Wales, both Camping and Caravanning Club sites. Cardigan Bay (about 5 miles south of New Quay) we enjoyed. St.Davids, not so much, but that was mostly down to the manager.
                      He was actually fine with us, but clearly enjoyed displaying his authority to some, and certainly wasn't having any of this "modernisation" nonsense on his "traditional" site (to be fair, the price reflected it). The weather was pretty ropey too!
                      However, that was 10 years ago, he's since retired, and I believe the site facilities have been upgraded. Can't speak for the weather though!

You don't need to join the club, though you will pay a higher fee and it doesn't take many nights before that adds up to more than the membership. You certainly don't have to get "heavily involved" in the club if you don't want too. We certainly haven't in 10 years! Regrettably, I think I rather upset one neighbouring camper I got into conversation with because we'd no idea, or interest, which "District Association " we're nominally part of.

I seem to recall the late John Hunt - founder of MMM say that the luton top of a van was so called because in days gone by, this type of van was filled with straw boaters - I told you days gone by - and the extension over the cab allowed a bigger load capacity with little extra weight. The company that made the boaters was based in a little town in Bedfordshire called Luton !

Comment

First outing

You could always try Tredegar House in Newport. Not too far away, just in case you have forgotten something like the dog ! Trust me I have known it to happen.
                        Tredegar House is a Caravan Club site and you will need to members otherwise they will charge you the earth. However, if you do join and you can do it on arrival, it is much cheaper and if you go mid week it is even cheaper.

Comment