Repairing a Romahome

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repairing a Romahome

Hi All, I've recently acquired a 1994 Romahome (only 44000 miles on the clock). Mechanically it's very sound, brand new MOT (although big rust problems on car doors and bonnet, which I will have to try and resolve, if I can). But my big problem is that at some point in the past someone has damaged the rear presumably by reversing on to something. The floor (by the fridge/cooker) has been repaired, but I'm not sure its strong enough. The trouble is, I live in Cornwall and I don't know where to take it. Does anybody have any suggestions about what kind of repair shop I should be looking for? And does anybody know somewhere in Cornwall (or even Devon) who could help me on this one? Many thanks. Dot P.

Hello to someone else in Cornwall. The first question would be is the van currently MoTed and taxed? If so I would contact Ant at Avon Motor Caravans http://avonmotorcaravans.co.uk/

You will see on this Forum in the Technical Section he gives advice. People take their vans from all over the UK for annual service. If your van is driveable your journey will be less than 200 miles. The good thing is he's not Cornish so your van will be done quicker than "Dreckley"

Happy Romahoming Jon

Comment

Hello Dot, and welcome to the SHM forums.

I can't answer your questions, but I know there's at least one other forum member who lives in Cornwall so maybe he will know someone.
      You could always try Google for fibreglass/GRP body repairs + Cornwall? Maybe a local garage repair shop might be able to help... Or try a boat building place, as they would probably be knowledgeable about such things.

I would sort out the rusty parts first (local garage/welder), as finding body panels might take some time, they are not easy to find. Have you got a current MOT and have had the vehicle body and engine checked over?

Gosh that was quick, Kernowjohn! Your post got there first!

Comment

I agree with Jayjay, start with the base vehicle repairs as sourcing replacement body parts for a C15 could take some time. It may just be cosmetic attention that it needs, advice can be found at any local car bodyshop. I reckon in Cornwall there will be quite a few boat repair places who understand fibreglass and can sort out the back end for you.

As it has a current MOT, you should be fine driving it around in the meantime. A trip to Ant's for a full habitation and engine service would be a good plan for the future.

Comment

I forgot to ask where are you in Cornwall - and I suppose the other question is how big a budget do you have for the repairs.
          I believe we cover leisure on the Isle of Wight still have all the old RomaHome moulds and they do do repairs so that could be another option.
          One thing you did not say and that is the level of your own DiY expertise. Have a look at Jeff Browns thread on rebuilding Chitty.
          Jon

Comment

Sorry - I don't know how I missed the part where you said you have a new MOT on it!

Comment

Do you have all the broken bits? How bad is it and can you post photographs of the damage? If you need large areas of flat-ish fibreglass have a look in your local scrappy and carve a suitable lump out of a Reliant. Best weapon is a carpenter's hand saw, although they do have steel re-enforcing in places so take a hacksaw with you as well.

Comment