As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New (old) small motorhome.

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New (old) small motorhome.

At least, I call it small. I have been looking for a sub-6 metre, and preferably 5.5 metre coachbuilt with a double bed that you can leave made up during the day. I have a bad back and can't be doing with pulling seats around and fishing under seats for bedding before even starting to make the bed when I am cream crackered at the end of the day. Of course also I want a full washroom with proper toilet and shower, full kitchen with 3 burner hob, hot and cold water, heater, lounge, full fridge and fresh and waste water tanks.
    Imagine my surprise when after searching for months and going to the NEC show I found it today!
    It's called a Trigano Challenger. It's 5.3 metres long, a proper coachbuilt on a Fiat Ducato chassis. They do it by having a made up bed that folds up to the back wall of the van in the day, and at night it hinges down on to the lounge seating. So you've got a seat level double bed that you dont have to climb up to, and doesn't extend the vehicle length by more than about a foot. Very clever I call it. Strangely to my thinking, they only imported it to the UK in RHD form for one year: 2003 and then stopped. I can't think why. We are fully committed to the theory that a short wheelbase van is easy to manoever, you can park it in a supermarket, or in the regular car park spaces at the side of a road. At a push it will be a second car. Well, it will be a second car without the push. I'm blowed if I am going to push it anywhere. 2003 model, 2003 price (£20k), 18,000 miles, more-or-less same as new. A service history fuller than Billy Bunter's tummy, a year's MOT and 6 months tax and yet another service all in the price, from Campbells in Preston. So ya boo sucks I got there first!
    Does that count as a small motorhome? I reckon it is.
    To introduce myself I am Andrew, from Lutterworth. This van has a towbar so I will probably hitch up a trailer with my 1950 Sunbeam S8 motorised bicycle and cart it off to meetings.Other members of the Sunbeam owners club will be dripping wet in their tents and I will be cosy warm and dry. Wifey can come as well, if she wants. If she doesn't want she can stay behind and play being granny to our soon-to-be sproglet-of-youngest-daughter.
    The dumbest thing I did this century was buy a 2020 year planner.

Hi Andrew

Sounds like you have found your perfect van, well done.

It doesn't have to be a small motorhome to come on here we have all sorts of units, big, small, caravans, tents.

Don't forget when you take delivery we want to see photo's.
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Hi Andrew

It sounds like you've got a bargain there! Photo's please. that bed arrangement sounds very interesting and very cleverly designed!

Comment

Well done Andrew and welcome,I used to have a sunbeam shaft drive bike in the days when I had hair and teeth of my own I hope we see you both at one of our meets you will be very welcome.
        Ian
        Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

5.3 metres long sounds small to me.

Welcome to the forum.

Comment

just found the pics of your van on Adtrader,very nice,the drop down double is very clever.Nice woodwork.A good looking Van.
            Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Hi everyone,
              Thanks for your kind comments. Yes, the very one I bought is on Adtrader here. There are photos if you want to follow the link.

http://www.adtrader.co.uk/motoring/m...19862_cpn.html

I've got to register my current van, a 1993 Burstner in England first. It's currently Isle of Man registered, and one of the many clever things about the Isle of Man is that they are not part of the UK and they are not in the EU. And they have zero national debt and zero balance of payments deficit. That makes the tiny island £380 Trillion better off than the United Kingdom. No unemployment, no hospital waiting lists, no illegal immigrants, no social security spongers - you can't claim any benefits until you have PAID into the system for 5 years. No wars, hardly any crime. So why would you need tax?
              Now you might have thought that the DVLA would put the registration application form on the internet so you could print it and take it to your 'local' (ha-ha its 120 miles away) office.
              Oh no, you are meant to fill out an application form to get the registration application form. You send that off, and they send you an application form. Oh goody.
              I bet someone in No 10 would like to know who thought that one up, and get rid of them pronto.
              The dumbest thing I did this century was buy a 2020 year planner.

Comment

Hi Andrew, must look out for you at the meetings I have 53 s7 cheers Rod.

Comment

What a clever layout, no wonder you're pleased

Comment

Originally posted by gasgas View Post
                    Hi everyone,

I've got to register my current van, a 1993 Burstner in England first. It's currently Isle of Man registered, and one of the many clever things about the Isle of Man is that they are not part of the UK and they are not in the EU. And they have zero national debt and zero balance of payments deficit. That makes the tiny island £380 Trillion better off than the United Kingdom. No unemployment, no hospital waiting lists, no illegal immigrants, no social security spongers - you can't claim any benefits until you have PAID into the system for 5 years. No wars, hardly any crime. So why would you need tax?

I wish the Government would take a closer look at how successful countries are being run, and apply it to the UK!

There is a little man/woman in a little office somewhere who is paid to design forms to make our lives harder. We had one at Keele University when I worked there, although we never found the exact location so we could lynch em!

Comment

Hi Andrew
                      What a brilliant little van, wonderful double bed set up, look forward to seeing the van and meeting you at one of the meets nice one
                      Gadgetman......... (Bryan)
                      'Live without regrets'

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X