Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hello ! New here and would love some advice !!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks so much Sandra and Jon - such good advice and I can't wait to do more research and hunting.

re my criteria I have a small car so won't need the camper as my sole vehicle so I'm looking for something small and compact designed as a camper only. It's just for me and my small mini dachshund - and I'm quite small too !!
    I recently spent a week in an old Vw and although it was a monster to drive I loved the layout of it.
    I have £5000 but could stretch further !!

A lot of people have mentioned Bongos - and I did view one at the weekend but it was in bad shape and the layout wasn't right - kitchen was along the back.

Theres so much to think about and consider - just got to not get overwhelmed !!

i will hunt out some more dealers in my area and go and see some this weekend.

exciting !!

Sam

Comment

Hi again Sam,

Don't be frightened to go and view campers and motorhomes you can't afford. Go and look at brand new ones anyway and get the feel for layouts and sizes and models. On the grand scheme of things, layouts of campers and motorhomes haven't changed that much over the years, it's just the peripherals that have been updated. If you compare a C15 Hytop to a much later Berlingo Hytop, the layout is pretty much the same, even if the actual upholstery and cooker and sink have altered.

What I am trying to say is that if you find a particular layout you like in a brand new camper somewhere, it will almost certainly be mirrored in a much earlier (and therefore affordable) camper, somewhere else.

Go and hassle the new camper dealers. Or alternatively treat yourself to a couple of days away at the National Caravan and Motorhome Show at the NEC in October. I always go to the NEC to mooch around the wares there. I can't afford anything but it is great fun!

Panda.
      These broken wings are gonna leave me here to stand my ground........

Comment

To the OP: my C15 is for sale, just waiting for Graham to put the advert up. In the meantime, it's also on gumtree: https://www.gumtree.com/p/campervans...ylo/1265239792

Considerably cheaper than the one you looked at.

Comment

Hi everyone

Thanks once more for all your help! I'm home now at my computer which makes searching simpler.

Panda - thanks for the heads up re the NEC show -- I'm away that week so can't make it but am going to the motorhome show in Lincoln on Sat 23rd Sept so hoping that will be helpful!

Been looking at the Berlingo Romahome and feel that the layout is definitely the one that appeals to me the most -- that's what I loved about the C15 -- and I think I definitely want at hytop not a hylo. I'm a bit confused as to the difference ( if there is any ) about the Berlingo romahome and the romahome duo ? The only ones I can see are over £10000 so very much over my budget.
          I guess what I'm after is an updated version of the C15 hytop with all the same layout -- not bothered at all about a loo -- and under £10000. Just wondering what I should be googling == please do excuse my ignorance -- I feel these past 2 weeks have been a very steep learning curve for me !!

Thanks again -- I'm so grateful for all your help.

Sam

Comment

Originally posted by sammarshallart View Post
            Hi everyone

Thanks once more for all your help! I'm home now at my computer which makes searching simpler.

Panda - thanks for the heads up re the NEC show -- I'm away that week so can't make it but am going to the motorhome show in Lincoln on Sat 23rd Sept so hoping that will be helpful!

Been looking at the Berlingo Romahome and feel that the layout is definitely the one that appeals to me the most -- that's what I loved about the C15 -- and I think I definitely want at hytop not a hylo. I'm a bit confused as to the difference ( if there is any ) about the Berlingo romahome and the romahome duo ? The only ones I can see are over £10000 so very much over my budget.
            I guess what I'm after is an updated version of the C15 hytop with all the same layout -- not bothered at all about a loo -- and under £10000. Just wondering what I should be googling == please do excuse my ignorance -- I feel these past 2 weeks have been a very steep learning curve for me !!

Thanks again -- I'm so grateful for all your help.

Sam
            Hi Sam,

I have just started a thread in the Romahome section called Berlingo Romahome Model Types. This might help us identify the differences between Berlingo Romahome.

I don't know the different types either, to be honest, so hopefully this will help you and I and also others looking to buy.

Hopefully we'll get some replies soon!

Panda
            Last edited by Pandabloke; 13-09-2017, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Hi again Sam,

We have had a response on the Romahome thread I started and it seems the model range is fully explained on this site. I'm not sure how I missed it, but it has eluded me for a couple of years!

Model range and types very well explained here - http://www.smallmotorhome.co.uk/romahome-history.html

Also don't worry that you haven't seen a Berlingo in your budget yet. In the year that I was looking for Hettie, I saw several Berlingos for under £10,000 advertised. Advertised prices on Romahomes are mad. There is a C15 on currently at £9995 at a trade premises near me. With the best will in the world.......

I do remember clearly seeing several early Berlingo Hytops advertised for around £8,000 while I was hunting. I didn't view any of them cos I wanted a Hylo. Berlingo Hylos do seem to be a little more expensive than Hytops, but that isn't a worry for you. Check Gumtree and Preloved and eBay regularly. Again, you don't have to buy, but it will give a good indication of prices and condition and don't be afraid to be a 'tyre kicker.' If they're near you, go and view them anyway. Get a feel for them.

Here is a link to Autotrader's motorhome section as well http://www.autotrader.co.uk/motorhomes

You can put in all search of search dynamics to get the results for Romahomes local to you, if you fiddle around with the search boxes.

Hope all this is helping and we are not swamping you with too much information!

Panda

Comment

Hi Panda

Funnily enough right after I posted my last question to you I found the link and the page explaining all the different types which helped a lot !!
                But then lead to a 2 hour internet search into the darkness -- this is proving to be addictive!!

I did find a few in my budget that have already been sold but it tells me that they are out there - just got to be patient and see what comes along. There is a motorhome show in Lincoln next weekend which is near me so I will pop along to that to chat to the dealers and get more of a feel for other vans etc. But I'm so taken with the layout of the romahomes that I can't see anything trumping it !!

I'm sure I will be distracted today and end up doing more searching when I need to be working !! haha = the joys of a freelance life

And please don't worry about bombarding me with more info -- it's all so helpful !

Thanks again

Sam

Comment

Originally posted by sammarshallart View Post

Great advice from Panda to go to a camper van dealer and 'experience ' a few - the only ones near me ( peterborough, corby , Leicester ) all seem to have really expensive ones though !! I don't suppose anyone knows of any older campervan dealers in this area?

Sam
                  You might try Motorland in Croft, a bit south of Leicester. 5 minutes south from M1 junction 21. So if you are coming along the A14 from Peterborough /Corby you would probably go to M1 J 20 and turn off, or M6 J2 and turn off. I have 'sort of ' known him for about 20 years. That is, I used to do a bit of work for him, and he seems an honest bloke. The fact that he is still there doing much the same as he was 20 years ago must mean he is running a proper business. He sometimes has older campervans in stock. Some time ago he had an old-ish Autosleeper with the fibreglass body at below £10,000 so he's not afraid of the older ones provided they are in OK condition. Tel 01455 286600. If you phone him and he sounds a bit odd, that's because he had a laryngectomy which is undoubtedly the wrong spelling - I would call it a throatectomy whereby he had his voice box removed and he has to speak through a fiendish thingy in his throat and he has to touch it to make it work. But bear with him - I think he is an OK bloke.
                  He does advertise int he back pages of MMM, a light blue quarter page advert. Currently he is advertising a Wheelhome Vikestan on a Suzuki 1.3 petrol Wagon R. 1 Berth micro camper with elevating roof, 41,000 miles, 2 owners. Cooker, grille, cold water, 12v fridge, sink, metallic blue. Delightful lady owner for the last 15 years. £7500. I think, having visited his site a few times, that he only takes in older vans if they are specially good so it might be worth a look. Good luck.
                  Andrew
                  The trouble with a hotel is that it tends to stay in one place.

Comment

Sam, I have (hopefully) sent some photos

Comment

Hi Andrew

Many thanks for your advice - I've called Chris to see what he has in stock , he was really helpful -- the Suzuki is the only van in my budget. I was going to see it tomorrow but after looking at some pics online I can see it's too small for me but I will give him my number and he said he will call if anything comes up.
                      Thanks again for all your help !

Sam

Comment

Sam,you have mentioned that you are small - a number of vans, including many Bongos, have a Rock and Roll bed - if you are small these can be very difficult to use without ending up with a bad back, be sure to try setting up the bed if you find it's one of this type, it's actually a good idea to try out setting up the bed in any van you view. Have fun searching!

Comment

Hi Von - yes , thanks for that. I have discounted bongos for many reasons one being the bed situation! I think I've settled on searching for a romahome as I have tried the bed out and find them very comfortable. Don't think I would manage very well with the 'rock and roll' option!

Comment

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only

Collapse

320x50 mobile only under posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X