c15 conversion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

c15 conversion

Hi everyone I'm a new member. I'm a newly retired carpenter and have a Citroen c15 with 64,000 miles only. I want to remove the rear body shell and
    replace it with romahome type conversion, wood framed with ply internal walls and externally skinned with ally/ tin or upvc sheet. I have previous
    experience working in the touring caravan and a little experience in small motorhome industry although a few years ago but I'm not up on current .rules and regulations. Has anyone previously done a similar conversion, if anyone has any help, advice or plans to see if this project is practical. I would really appreciate any help with this project thanks ken

Hi and welcome

Sounds like hard work to me, why not sell your van and buy a second hand c15 Romahome instead. We’ve got three hitops and a Hylo advertised for private sale on our website.

http://www.smallmotorhome.co.uk/smal...-for-sale.html

Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

You can also help the forum by shopping online at Amazon using this link

Comment

Hi Ken and welcome to this site.
      I hate to put a damper on someone's ideas, but have you read the Post by BrianB it is a Stickie on the RomaHome Chat board.
      The RomaHome C15 was based on the C15 pick-up not the van, it is my understanding that the pick-up has beefier suspension and a different chassis rails.
      I think even if you overcame the suspension / chassis problems the next problem would be the wood frame, ply and aluminium skin body and furniture may be substantially heavier than the GRP body and GRP furniture of the Romahome.
      What your options are I am unsure. All I am saying is do your research before "chopping" a good van and embarking on an unworkable project.
      Jon
      Last edited by kernowjon; 23-11-2017, 05:28 PM.
      Amor omnia vincit et nos cedamus amori

Comment

Have a look at Kangoo/Doblo conversions as you should be able to do something similar in the back of the C15. This type of layout
        Officially the world's fastest camper.

Comment

Also bear in mind that the Citroen C15 van is now very outdated and spares are becoming more difficult to find. They are very prone to the tinworm. It may not be worth the amount of time and effort that you would be putting into building the new back only to find out in a couple of years that the base vehicle needs new panels or something that you can't get hold of.

Comment

There's a basic c15 van conversion here. to give an idea of layout.

Comment

Hi thank you all for your help and advice, having read all your comments a full conversion is not
              looking very practical especially as spares are becoming harder to source, so the basic conversion JazziJ
              posted is more interesting and will do want I want, many thanks everyone

Comment

Hi there,

As you already have the van, it seems a shame not to do something with it. I am sure that with your skills, you could build a lovely little micro-camper in the existing van shell. It wouldn’t be hi-topped but that wouldn’t matter really. Have a look at Berlingo conversions and also the Romahome R10 just to give you an idea of what is possible in a small space. Wheelhome made some fabulous conversions too.

Convert what you’ve got, on a budget, as practice for the next project. That’s what I’d do.

Hope this helps.

Panda
                These broken wings are gonna leave me here to stand my ground........

Comment

If you are being slightly more ambitious you may - if you look really hard find a small Pop Roof in a breakers - some Type 2 VWs had a very small roof (small in length and width) fitted which would possibly fit your C15.
                  Usually the roof is complete with an angle iron base - fitting is not too complex - it may pay you to also join the Self Build Motor Caravan Club they have loads of info but please do not leave us

BTW I will be putting up for sale some items a self builder may want.
                  Jon
                  Amor omnia vincit et nos cedamus amori

Comment

Thanks again I'm weighing up my options just seen a old nu-venture conversion that seems to
                    built on the back of a standard van still leaving the portion of the shell on the first seam just above the fuel filler cap
                    then fitting full conversion on the metal ridge that runs around the inside of the rear shell just exploring this but if not ill
                    be building a conversion l will be checking all the info and sites that you all have kindly posted cheers ken

Comment

further to my earlier posts regarding c15 conversion I am in fact following advice from other members and intend converting the back of my c15
                      to more of a micro style camper, I am now looking for 2 rear side fixed windows to give some light in the back the british c15 vans have blanks fitted
                      where French versions had side windows fitted as standard I think. Anyone know where I can source these or can l fit toughened glass in place
                      of the blanks, any help appreciated cheers ken

Comment

As you say, all (or most) continental C15's have side windows. They would be easy and cheap to source over there.

Failing that there are many places that will supply and fit a custom set for you. I would suggest trying somewhere they work on tractors and diggers rather than motorhomes. Once the word "leisure" is attached to something it seems to double prices.

Comment

thanks dapple will check that out cheers ken

Comment

As they are to be fixed windows and if they are dead flat, and you are brave, they aren't difficult to fit if you have the right rubbers.

Curves make them trickier and opening windows need a frame.

Never used them myself but this bonded idea should be very simple:-

https://www.vandemon.co.uk/category/side-windows/

Comment

A good C15 is getting to be worth some coin! They have a bit of a cult following.

As a C15 owner, I have to say the Berlingo which came the generation after is a much better van, with galvanised panels. Rust is far less of a problem, and the van itself is bigger and better.

I reckon you could sell the van you have and find a better example of something that will give you fewer problems in the future. It's a better place to start.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X