No announcement yet.

New Romahome Owner

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Borry also take a look at DonksDad posts about the towbar on his demountable same problem of the rear well - long overhang - uses a standard towbar and a long extension.
    I seem to recall Ant saying once bracing the extension on the well is no different to a 60 Kg person jumping onto the well.
    I think you cannot consider towing a very big trailer or heavy load -
    Jon
    Amor omnia vincit et nos cedamus amori
    https://smallromahome2oldies1largedo...logspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by jayjay View Post

I don't think you can fit a towbar to a C15, because of the overhang at the back of the vehicle - but someone will come along and correct me if I'm wrong!
      We have a towbar on ours, fitted by a previous owner, although we've not used it yet.
      'There is absolutely no difference between theory and practice. In theory.'

Comment

There was a metal rear step on my old Bedford Bambi which was fixed via a very substantial towbar fitting under the rear well. I fitted a towball to it but the Bambi wasn't powerful enough and had difficulty keeping up with the traffic without the extra load of a trailer, so I never used the towball in practice.

Comment

Hi with one thing and another I have lost my posts on here and couldn't remember my passwords. Back on now but wanted to know how much it would be to have extra seatbelts fitted in my Romahome C15. I use my van for work and pleasure so would be really useful to find out how much and then if fitted would it be legal for insurance purposes if I were ever to have an unfortunate accident?

Comment

Originally posted by Sheber View Post
            Hi with one thing and another I have lost my posts on here and couldn't remember my passwords. Back on now but wanted to know how much it would be to have extra seatbelts fitted in my Romahome C15. I use my van for work and pleasure so would be really useful to find out how much and then if fitted would it be legal for insurance purposes if I were ever to have an unfortunate accident?
            Hi Sheber

This should be a new thread really but to answer your question, if you mean seat belts on the bench seats then this was an answer from Ant our Romahome expert.

Sideways facing seat must not have belts, any belts fitted ( Lap belts) on sideways facing seat can only be used as luggage restraints or animal harnessing points. It is a very gray area but it's not illegal to travel in the rear of a Motorhome sideways facing unbelted. The law regarding children and booster seats still applies so unlikely that a sideways facing seat can be used for anyone other than an adult for short trips. That brings the next limitation, if you have adults in the back you run the risk of overloading the back axle. The "Spare Mass capacity" listed does not include the weight of any passengers.
            Thanks
            Ant
            Graham
            Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Hi Sheber,
              Maybe you should look at the government's advice on side facing seats and seat belts

ttps://www.gov.uk/government/publications/converting-a-van-to-carry-passengers-in-the-rear/converting-a-van-to-carry-passengers-in-the-rear

Especially note this bit - "Side-facing seatbelts

Our advice is that passengers are safest in a forward or rearward facing seat equipped with a lap belt or, preferably, a three-point belt.

Although side facing seats, with or without seatbelts, are not illegal, we would not advise that they are used. This is because seatbelts are not designed to be used with such seats. In the event of an accident, seatbelts on these side facing seats may help to prevent the wearer being thrown around the vehicle or from being ejected, but in a frontal crash they can increase injury risk by subjecting vulnerable parts of the body to higher loads than seatbelts used on forward facing seats. You should also bear in mind that child restraints cannot be fitted to side facing seats. In order to fit the required child restraints, you would need to have forward or rearward facing seats with full three-point seatbelts."

I would think if someone sustained a twisting spinal injury due to heavy braking throwing the wearer against the belt and twisting from waist up - the insurance company would try to walk on the grounds of the governments advice.
              Occassionaly I do carry a passenger in my demountable, but only when it is unavoidable and only for short distances.

Jon
              Amor omnia vincit et nos cedamus amori
              https://smallromahome2oldies1largedo...logspot.co.uk/

Comment