This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dipping my toe in...

Hello All! I don't yet have a motorhome but am very attracted to the Romahome R20. I need a van that can be my daily runabout as well - I'm a bank nurse and travel a lot - sometimes acting as a District Nurse - so it needs to be small enough to find its way round narrow lanes, economical enough not to ruin me doing say 15,000 miles a year and able to fit into height restricted multi-storey car parks! Is this a non-starter?
    Oh yes - and I am splitting up with my husband and just might want to live in it (alone) full-time.....
    Any advice greatly appreciated!

hi

Originally posted by pufff View Post
    Hello All! I don't yet have a motorhome but am very attracted to the Romahome R20. I need a van that can be my daily runabout as well - I'm a bank nurse and travel a lot - sometimes acting as a District Nurse - so it needs to be small enough to find its way round narrow lanes, economical enough not to ruin me doing say 15,000 miles a year and able to fit into height restricted multi-storey car parks! Is this a non-starter?
    Oh yes - and I am splitting up with my husband and just might want to live in it (alone) full-time.....
    Any advice greatly appreciated!
    hi wecome u be looking for the R 20 hi low with roof down get under bariers get 55 mpg good look diggdeep

Comment

R20

Hi. As a relative newbie myself, pleased to 'meet' you.

As a proud owner of a very newly-acquired R20, I would certainly suggest you give it serious consideration. The reasons I opted for this model included the fact that it handles very like a car (I'm a fairly nervous driver so this is a good point), has a decent size double bed (or two comfortable single beds), can have a nifty loo option (some people prefer a wardrobe option), and can fit into any carpark, no matter if there is a height barrier. Also, despite the security problems raised on this site, I still feel I'd be safer when travelling on my own, in this vehicle than when using my beloved little tent. Also more comfortable.

Sounds as if these points might well address your needs?

There are used vehicles of various ages and differing mileage so you would need to take technical advice as to whether or not they are a bargain. I was advised that older campervans (of any sort) might look superficially beautiful but could hide rust / technical problems, which is one of the reasons why I went for a virtually new R20. But, on the other hand, it is claimed that these vehicles can run for decades, going round the clock more than once, even!

I bought my van from the Southampton branch (Neville) but am sure the other dealers would offer service of a similarly high standard. Occasionally Romahomes are sold privately or by non-romahome dealers, but then you don't have a selection to compare and choose from. It is possible, though not cheap, to rent an R20, just to see if it suits you in principle. (But the ones I saw for rental looked pretty old!)
      Carpe diem! :)

Comment

Welcome to the forum,

I agree with diggdeep by the sounds of it a R20 Lo or the older C15 hilo or even an R10 is just what you need. They drive just like a car, you can get under height barriers and the mpg is superb. Ideal for use as an everyday vehicle.

Good luck with your search.
        Graham
        Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Thanks very much for your replies! The strangest thing has happened! Someone has parked an Outlook just across the road from my house! I'm itching to see if there's anyone in there!

Comment

How does the Outlook compare to the r20 hi or lo in size?

Comment

Originally posted by pufff View Post
              Thanks very much for your replies! The strangest thing has happened! Someone has parked an Outlook just across the road from my house! I'm itching to see if there's anyone in there!
              Well if they aren't nip over there and get them signed up quick! They don't know what they are missing. :so happy:
              Graham
              Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Outlook and R20 are different names for the same vehicle depending on year of manufacture.

If you have a look on Ebay for romahome you will see all the differnt types but I am not suggesting that you buy from ebay. I have posted elsewhere on this forum about some of the problem vehicles that appear on there.

Best advise - do lots of research and ask lost of questions even if they sound silly. Loads of advise and help on here

Good luck

Peter

Comment

Hi! Go on, jump in at the deep end. Make absolutely sure the vehicle is in good condition and learn as much about Romahomes as you can, like following this forum. As far as I can tell, nearly every Romahome is different, they have different levels of equipment. We bought ours last October and it was one of those instant decisions, we had been looking a while and then in a non-Romhome dealer's this particular example appeared. We knew instantly it was for us. We have not looked back since, a wonderful vehicle, economical and drives just like a car. Besides, you can then join this happy band of people. What more do you want? Enjoy, and good luck. Graham and Carole

Comment

Hi there Puff. I work on the community in a different role and have an R20 Hi but I have chosen to run two vehicles. I run an Toyato Aygo for my work which is very economical and has a road tax of £20 yearly.

Living in the high would certainly be possible but there would be a bit less space in the lo version..... on the other hand there are many more lo's out there to buy than the high... the highs seem to be a little more popular.

Sounds like life is a bit difficult at the moment.
                    Last edited by Tentpeg; 06-07-2011, 20:51.

Comment

Hi there, Puff. Nice to hear from you. I've recently bought a Hytop. Looked at a few Hylos but on the older models I wasn't able to manage the roof on my own (back problems) so now I have to check out height restrictions but that's not a problem. Hope you find the one of your dreams soon.

Comment

Hi Puff,

We bought our R20 last November. I have absolutely no regrets and am still really really happy. Any problems have been small and I have been assisted by the good people here to sort them out. I still get into my bed in it and can't help but laughing with glee

It is very difficult to get business insurance though. My insurance covers my commute to work but nothing more. I wanted to get rid of the other car and just use the Romahome but that hasn't been possible. However, with the way our car allowances are being cut, I think I'll be telling my employers that I'm using public transport.

Kind regards,

Barbara Anne

Comment

Thanks for the advice everyone! You are very kind! 2 vehicles would be the best option but I won't have a home to use as a base so it won't work I don't think. But.....I could have a dog! Trying to stay positive here! Maybe the height issue could be worked around. Extra storage must be at a premium. now I have food for thought thanks. By the way, the Outlook disappeared as quickly as it arrived. It did look sweet though!

Comment

Hello Puff and welcome,
                            I use my outlook (high) as my car and have business insurance for both myself and my husband. He works in health and I work in social services. We're with Safeguard, and it doesn't appear to be a problem at all.
                            I have the height on dyno tape on my dash board as a reminder, and it hasn't been too much of a problem at all.
                            I love my van, I would so recommend it to you.
                            Aileen

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X