This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Make a Post dont be shy we dont bite

In response to the above request I felt I had to make a post, so here goes.
    My wife and I camped for years when the children were young, starting with a frame tent, a brief spell towing a caravan followed by some years with a trailer tent.
    We have recently retired and have the time for more holidays providing they are within budget restraints. We have been thinking about the options, my wife does not want to go back to camping under canvas and neither of us want to tow so what are the options we asked ourselves.
    A couple of weeks ago we went to Pocklington in Yorkshire and saw a Romahome parked by the canal with the owner, who turned out to be 91, I had never seen one before and had a good look at it and a chat with the enthusiastic owner. I felt this could be just the thing for us so I joined this forum to learn. I know more than I did 2 weeks ago but still know nothing, for example what are the pros and cons of Hi top vs Hi lo etc.
    You all seem a very friendly group and I have enjoyed reading all the threads.
    Peter

Welcome to the forum Peter (& wife)

Glad you took the plunge to post, the more the merrier!! I can't help with the pro's & cons of different romahomes, having only owned an early demountable type but I'm sure if you have any particular questions about any type there will be someone on here with the answer!!
    Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

hello Peter & wife .. ( would be nice to have a name for the missus too ..)
      I can't help re hylo and hytop differences .. but what I can suggest is maybe look at hiring one for a weekend? If there is a company close enough .. or if there are any members who live near you I am sure they would be more then happy to show you round there van as we are all a nosey lot on meets and love looking at the differences in our mobile homes (I have yet to see 2 the exact same)
      I make occasional visits to reality, but I'm not a full time resident
      http://minimouseandmilos.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi Peter

Welcome to the forum, no we don't bite, don't be fooled by the teeth in my avatar.

I'll start you off with the pros and cons of hylo and hightop.

The Hylo can get under a height barrier or in a garage, the Hytop can't.
        But the Hytop has more storage space, the luton above the cab is good for storing all your bedding etc., but not so big in a hylo.

They are both the same base vehicle so you should get a very similar performance and mpg.

Why not pop along to one of our meets and talk to owners first hand and have a look in their vans, we are always wanting to show off our pride and joys.
        Graham
        Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

R20

Originally posted by Goneforagasper View Post
          In response to the above request I felt I had to make a post, so here goes.
          My wife and I camped for years when the children were young, starting with a frame tent, a brief spell towing a caravan followed by some years with a trailer tent.
          We have recently retired and have the time for more holidays providing they are within budget restraints. We have been thinking about the options, my wife does not want to go back to camping under canvas and neither of us want to tow so what are the options we asked ourselves.
          A couple of weeks ago we went to Pocklington in Yorkshire and saw a Romahome parked by the canal with the owner, who turned out to be 91, I had never seen one before and had a good look at it and a chat with the enthusiastic owner. I felt this could be just the thing for us so I joined this forum to learn. I know more than I did 2 weeks ago but still know nothing, for example what are the pros and cons of Hi top vs Hi lo etc.
          You all seem a very friendly group and I have enjoyed reading all the threads.
          Peter
          hi mail ose u can come look round test drive how any time if u in york area we are on how 3 one now hope to get a nother new one next year tom denise [email protected]

Comment

Hi Peter and wife? must post the wifes name welcome to the forum, Graham has covered the basics with both vehicles, I only had the the hytop when I had the romahome, but yes plenty of storage is needed for two people and that's there with the hitop, I never once had trouble with height barriers and it was my only vehicle, maybe I was lucky.
            Any questions you may have post them on here, also what Ant don't know aint worth knowing. :so happy:
            Happy camping, hope to see you in a field soon.
            Gadgetman......... (Bryan)
            'Live without regrets'

Comment

Welcome to the forum, Peter and missus. I have recently got a C15 Hytop after looking at Hilos. Wanted a Hilo because of the height barriers but I found that I couldn't lift the roof of the Hilo on my own (I'm talking about the older models here) so I took the plunge with a Hytop and use it every day - it's my only car.
              I have only once had a problem parking (the barrier in Porthmadog car park). It's just a case of remembering your vehicle height. I have no difficulty in driving it - it's just like driving a car. Oh dear, I've rambled on a bit but I guess it's what YOU want or need. Maria

Comment

Thanks for all your replies, this is a really friendly and helpful forum.

I have emailed Tom and Denise to take them up on their very kind offer and we will try to visit the Chesterfield meet.

For those who asked my wifes name, it is Pauline

Thanks again for your comments it is appreciated

Peter & Pauline

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                Working...
                X