As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A Late hello...

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Late hello...

Hi all,
    I've been hanging around and reading for a while, and thought it was about time I introduced myself

I live in Sheffield, and I've just taken voluntary redundancy, so I'm currently looking for a small, cheap! motorhome. Before the redundancy option came up I'd decided that after the last couple of winters, my next car was going to be a 4wd. I don't want a large car, so I was looking at the Fiat Panda 4x4.

Now I've got all this spare time, and a little bit of extra cash, so I'm looking into vans instead. I really still like the idea of 4wd, so the Bongo appeals. (so does the VW Syncro, but VW's go for silly money!). It will be my only car so can't be too big. As it is I'm having to get the entrance to my drive raised so I can get a 6'10" lift-top into the yard!

Does anyone know any good dealers around here? Once I have the access sorted I'll be having a serious look, but most of the dealers who keep a range seem to be a long way from here! So far 321away are looking good for a trip as they seem to have a few in stock, and will take a car in part-exchange.

Anyhow, hellooo everyone!

Jim

Hello Jim, good to have a fellow sheffielder on the forum!!

Some of the Japanese vehicles are 4wd, poplar motors in Chesterfield sell plenty and it's where we got our Toyota hilux based m/h from although that was way too big to be a single vehicle ( IMHO anyway). We looked at a few there before buying, there was some real tat to work through but ours turned out to be a gem, but not cheap.

If you are wanting smaller than a bongo, there is the Subaru sambar/Domingo some of which are converted to have a pop top roof etc but never seen one in real life to know how much room there is.

Good look with your search, if you decide to get a fiat panda 4wd, I can't recommend them highly enough, I have the deisel version and never once got into difficulties in the snow last year, despite going out to play as much as I possibly could. Easily went everywhere around s8, s12 & s17!!
    Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

Thanks Glen
      Originally posted by glenw View Post
      Good look with your search, if you decide to get a fiat panda 4wd, I can't recommend them highly enough, I have the deisel version and never once got into difficulties in the snow last year, despite going out to play as much as I possibly could. Easily went everywhere around s8, s12 & s17!!
      I might have got one last year, but when I asked at the Fiat showrooms they told me the old type was discontinued, and a new model was coming out this year. So I decided to wait and see what the new model was like. Lucky I didn't get one at the time!

Comment

Hello from Stockport, Jim

Comment

Hello from South Cheshire!

Comment

Hi, Jim and welcome from a dull, but not raining - yet, Ashton u Lyne, near Manchester.

Di.

Comment

Hello Jim welcome from me in Cleethorpes, happy searching hope something good turns up.
              Gadgetman......... (Bryan)
              'Live without regrets'

Comment

Thanks everyone.
                I've got Poplar Motors in my GPS now Glen, and might take a look out there this week. Probably combine it with calling at 'carryoncampers' in Mansfield.

Comment

Let us know how you go on, will also keep an eye out as I'm driving around Sheffield and let you know if I see anything you might be interested in.
                  Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

Any joy with finding a Motorhome Jim? I'm not sure but the Japanese import Market may well be slow, it crashed after the earthquake over there so I'm told. I'm still keeping my eye out as I'm out and about but seen anything other than a vw at a dealers on bramall lane. 1983, lhd, £7k. Not sure if it's the sort of thing that interests you. If you want to pm me your wants and don't wants and I guess more importantly how much you want to spend and I'll let you know if I see anything.

Comment

Some other forums say that winter tyres are a better bet than 4wd.

Although Sheffield is very hilly the amount of time you need 4wd is very small and 4wd increases running costs for the rest of the year. This would also increase your choice of camper.

If you are handy and could live with a very small motorhome you could follow karen and build your own but using a Renault Kangoo Trekka which is 4wd

Good luck

Peter

Comment

I got wheels with a bed on 'em!

Hi,
                        Well, I got a Bongo in the end. Bought it from Carryoncampers in Mansfield, but it's a 321 'Montague' conversion, rather than one of their own. It's a 4wd, and I'm expecting it to be thirsty, but they all are. I collected it on the 6th.

You're probably right about the winter tyres, Peter, but I plan on getting those as well!

I'm working out how to set it up to suit me at the moment, have a temperature/low-coolant alarm to fit, and want to get a decent underseal/antirust treatment. Then I'll try an overnight test run somewhere to find what I've forgotten

Jim
                        Last edited by JimD; 10-10-2011, 20:55.

Comment

Originally posted by JimD View Post
                          Hi,
                          Well, I got a Bongo in the end. Bought it from Carryoncampers in Mansfield, but it's a 321 'Montague' conversion, rather than one of their own. It's a 4wd, and I'm expecting it to be thirsty, but they all are. I collected it on the 6th.

You're probably right about the winter tyres, Peter, but I plan on getting those as well!

I'm working out how to set it up to suit me at the moment, have a temperature/low-coolant alarm to fit, and want to get a decent underseal/antirust treatment. Then I'll try an overnight test run somewhere to find what I've forgotten

Jim

Congratulations Jim, hope you and your Bongo have many years happy camping.
                          Graham
                          Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

well done jim, hope you can make it to one of our rallies in the near future.

nightowl

(stockport)

Comment

Great news Jim! As regards winter tyres, my panda runs on mud and snow tyres year round. A compromise between having a set of summers and a set of winters along with the hastle of storing them, swapping them etc. I know they will wear quicker but I only do around 2000-3000 miles a year at the most. Look forward to seeing the new van.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X