X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Norfolk hello. New Romahome next week!

Hi all,

Well next week is my first foray into Romahomes after 30 odd years of pretty much everything camper/motorhome from show winning VW's to 27' American RV.
    I work with the 'smallest is best' principal, and after an offer of a 2000 Duo, snapped it up. Arrives next week.
    We may be in 50's, but live and act as if in our 20's. We love traveling overseas and have taken small campers down as far as Southern Crete (Further south than North Africa!) so can lend advice if needed, particularly with Greece.
    Anyway, despite this being a 'hello' a question. My new (old) Duo doesn't have the slim centre table, can they be bought? or do most owners buy a table 'chassis' and make their own, advice gratefully received.
    Also, rear awnings, any models best suited to Duo, and how do you all 'fix' to the body, sucker types, fig of 8? whats best.

Cheers all

mark
    Last edited by rubberrat; 22-09-2011, 19:00.
    Aircooled VW Camper nut!

hi

hi wellcome to sit we have the R20 only out and about in this country if u look down the treades i post swinging tabel it tern round in to cab on a night time no legs in way if u can not find it e.mail ose at [email protected] (tom)

Comment

Hello Mark

Welcome to the forum, lots of Romahome owners on here with friendly advice. You certainly sound very adventures with your travels around Europe, it's something we'd like to do but will have to wait for retirement, can't see us getting to Greece and back with the van in a fortnights holiday .

Romahome have a spares department it might be worth giving them a ring to ask about your table 01983 29245, alternatively you could keep an eye on Ebay they may come up on there from time to time.

For a drive away awning a lot of Romahome owners use the Movelite Square CLICK THIS LINK they are very lightweight and pack away small. You fix them on the back of your van via a short tunnel which slips over the top of your van and can then be pegged down either side.
      Graham
      Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

We had one that came with our van. It wasn't in a very good state and ended up taping the legs. It does the job! slimline centre table new...over £100!!! we enquired and declined!! (from romahome) Others on here may have some good suggestions, you could try ebay and there also a lot of sites that have accessories for those who do conversions so you may find a table or the parts to make your own.
        We don't have an awning but now use a utility tent with porch, Outwell XL comes in handy for cooking and storing stuff if you want to drive off for the day, lightweight and compact too!!
        Last edited by jessiem; 22-09-2011, 15:08.
        Jessie

Comment

Lots of speedy replies, thanks. I spotted an aluminium slimline table on ebay for £27, i'll look closer. £100 for factory table, sounds about right, but i'm far to tight for that.
          Cheers for awning advice, i'd forgotten about the tying the tunnel type over the top, too many years of wind out awnings and side gutters! We still have a khyam dayshelter somewhere that will do the job until we find something better.

If anyone needs advice regarding travel to Southern med or Greece, give me a call, its not as daunting as it sounds, i've even done it in a classic aircooled VW.
          We're self employed and can take a month or two out between October and May - ideal for taking in to account the (minimum) three days each way.

Looking forward to our Romahome, particularly the fuel consumption - our last VW was in low 20's, the Knaus before was better at 25mpg. GBM (American 7.2 litre V8 petrol) was a scary 6mpg...on a long run!
          We hadn't particularly chosen a Duo, but a friends parents had it and the price was ..... well it couldn't be passed up
          Last edited by rubberrat; 22-09-2011, 19:03.
          Aircooled VW Camper nut!

Comment

its been said before and not by me_You dont choose a Romahome,it chooses you.
            You will understand after your first camp,when the Romabug has bitten.

Good luck,good choice.Hope to see you at a meet.
            Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Hi, Mark, and welcome. You've probably realised that this is a fabulous site, folk are so friendly and helpful and there's usually someone who can answer any queries.

I envy your life style, although now I'm retired I can take off as and when I like. Travelled to Athens in a K reg. VW van back in the '70's going through France, Switzerland, Italy, the then Yugoslavia, around Albania entering Greece at Thessolonika. After 4 weeks slowly meandering and stopping off as and when we reached Athens. Came back through the centre of Yugoslavia, Austria, Germany, Belgium and home. A trip of a life time, or so I thought at 23!!

Now planning next year; a return to Brittany and possibly a second holiday to Italy. Can't wait!!

Enjoy your time on the site and maybe we'll catch up with you at a meet sometime.

Di.

Comment

Originally posted by di allen View Post
                Hi, Mark, and welcome. You've probably realised that this is a fabulous site, folk are so friendly and helpful and there's usually someone who can answer any queries.

I envy your life style, although now I'm retired I can take off as and when I like. Travelled to Athens in a K reg. VW van back in the '70's going through France, Switzerland, Italy, the then Yugoslavia, around Albania entering Greece at Thessolonika. After 4 weeks slowly meandering and stopping off as and when we reached Athens. Came back through the centre of Yugoslavia, Austria, Germany, Belgium and home. A trip of a life time, or so I thought at 23!!

Now planning next year; a return to Brittany and possibly a second holiday to Italy. Can't wait!!

Enjoy your time on the site and maybe we'll catch up with you at a meet sometime.

Di.
                Hi Di,
                What a trip! We would love to take that route, and despite being pretty adventurous, the route through Albania is pretty much off the cards these days due to near non-existent roads and blatant banditry, particularly to campervans which they think have rich pickings. We know folk who have made it though. We thought a convoluted trip through eastern Europe, again entering Greece at Thessaloniki next time.
                We look after (in a marketing way) a few properties in Portugal at the moment so are off there next week, unfortunately flying - I really don't enjoy airports these days - and would rather drive, but needs must.
                We still do a lot of the VW shows, so would like to catch up one of this forums events...

By the way, a lot of people ask us how much these two/three month trips cost. Well the last two were around £4k door to door, so about £1k more than a fortnight in a typical beach resort once you take every cost into account. And thats for 10-12 weeks!
                Last edited by rubberrat; 23-09-2011, 14:44.
                Aircooled VW Camper nut!

Comment

My sister goes to Greece in her Hymer and she gets a ferry (I think from Italy) where they live in their motorhome on the deck of the ferry for a couple of days. They even have EHU I think! Travelling in style. Its a bit hit and miss when you drive on, you either get a stunning seaview from your van, or stuck behind an iron girder.

I long for foreign travels, but will have to wait a while yet.
                  Last edited by Vanderella; 23-09-2011, 17:12.
                  Mary

Comment

Hi again, Mark. When we travelled to Greece we didn't go through Albania as the borders were closed so we went around instead. Took longer but time wasn't a consideration on that holiday.

I'm thinking of going to Portugal in January for a couple of months to avoid the worst of the weather; just hope my Talbot Express ['reg.'91] makes it!!

Di.

Comment

Hi, Mary. When I went to Greece with school in the late '60's we travelled by coach and crossed over to Piraeus [not sure of the spelling here but it's near to Athens] from Brindisi in Italy. I remember it so well as when we were waiting for the ferry there was a sand modelling competition on the beach. So many wonderful sculptures.

Di.

Comment

Originally posted by Vanderella View Post
                        My sister goes to Greece in her Hymer and she gets a ferry (I think from Italy) where they live in their motorhome on the deck of the ferry for a couple of days. They even have EHU I think! Travelling in style. Its a bit hit and miss when you drive on, you either get a stunning seaview from your van, or stuck behind an iron girder.

I long for foreign travels, but will have to wait a while yet.
                        Yes, if you travel with Minoan lines its like a luxury cruise liner and you have the best cabin on the ship (your motorhome!) If you use Anek, you will be on a 1950's ex cross channel ferry.
                        View can be spectacular, we've had the 'sea view' before, but although its a lower deck, its open sided so its possible to get your shiny pride and joy drenched in seawater, so if its rough, try to get in the middle.
                        You do get EHU and a TV arial lead, plus access to dedicated shower/loo room for the camping deck.
                        Search 'camping on board' if you fancy it.
                        we usually get off the ship at Corfu to enjoy a day or so in Corfu town before getting a local ferry to the mainland at Igoumenitsa or Patras.
                        Aircooled VW Camper nut!

Comment

Originally posted by di allen View Post
                          Hi again, Mark. When we travelled to Greece we didn't go through Albania as the borders were closed so we went around instead. Took longer but time wasn't a consideration on that holiday.

I'm thinking of going to Portugal in January for a couple of months to avoid the worst of the weather; just hope my Talbot Express ['reg.'91] makes it!!

Di.
                          '91 Talbot - ideal for Portugal, if it breaks dowm the locals can fix it! unlike a lot of NASA space computer driven stuff. try eastern Algarve, much nicer.

We are staying in some degree of luxury on this trip.. a friend owns this:-
                          www.casadoszefiros.com and we look after some aspects of her overseas business so we get to use it when she's not there.. Tough life eh!
                          Aircooled VW Camper nut!

Comment

I'm not jealous one little bit!!
                            Lovely property, have a great time.

Di.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X