And yet another newbie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

And yet another newbie

Hi folks, Lofty here from good old North Yorkshire:so happy: I've been lurking for a little while to see if this forum is the one for me, decided YES so have now registered and am now a fully fledged member.

Don't want to be a pain in the a**e on first intro but just to put you in the picture - I have RA plus other health/mobility issues. I can have reasonable days or OMG days..........BUT... I still want to camp in some form or another.

I'm a tent camper (don't hold it against me), but now seriously having to come to terms with health/mobility issues. The last few trips in a supposedly easy solo erect tent have had effects resulting in mega pain so now thinking of going the small campervan route instead.

I want to keep my reliable car and buy a c'van as a second vehicle. Would only need a 1 berth (do they come that small?) Doesn't need to be high top or anything as I'm only 4' 10" tall. Am an absolute novice/virgin regards c'van prices but would £2000 get me anything???

Or am I asking the impossible and talking a load of borrocks?

Would be grateful for for any help-tips-advice

Thanks in advance xxxxx Lofty
    :group hug:

Welcome to the forum Lofty.

There are plenty of small motorhomes out there but to get something reliable your budget is very low. Perhaps a microcaravan would be the way to go?

Incidently you are very welcome to the forum in a tent/caravan/ whatever...

Others will be along with some suggestions because there are many solo campers on this forum.
    Last edited by Tentpeg; 03-10-2011, 05:47.

Comment

hi north yorks

hi we are from north yorks do not no ware u are if we can help u out eny way let ose no with a small camper sell car just keep camper then u can have cuper site down any time diggdeep (m)

Comment

Hi Lofty

I love your username, especially when you say in your first post you are only 4' 10".

We don't hold it against you to have a tent, of course not, we are called small motorhome but we have grown to encompass all units, so we are now small motorhome and friends.

£2,000 is not a lot of money for a campervan and as Tentpeg says the chances of getting something reliable are not great. However, I agree with Diggdeep why not sell your car and get a small motorhome as your sole vehicle. Something like a Kangoo Roo would be ideal for a sole camper. Romahome C15's are also used by a lot of single people. Have a good look round at all the options before making a decision.

You can learn a lot from the posts on here so welcome and I hope you enjoy the forum.
        Graham
        Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

As Graham says, your budget is rather tight for a motorhome of any age. And if less than your figure, probably not worth having anyway.
          As Graham says a "micro" caravan might serve.
          We have several members with Romini caravans (see the Romini sub-section in "Tin Tents".
          They are very light, easy to tow even with a small car and it might just be possible to find one within your budget. They are getting rather old now, but their construction is such that age does not really matter.
          I find that mine is much easier to site, even physically, than a tent. So light too that coupling and uncoupling and siting only needs enough ability to wind a handle for jockey wheel and steadies.
          There are members with Rominis not too far from North Yorkshire who I am sure would be more than happy for you to view. Though I doubt they would sell theirs! I live just over the border in North Derbyshire, but the invitation is open if not too far. By the way the headroom in a Romini is about six feet.
          Good luck,
          Jim.
          Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

Welcome!
            (lovely boy )
            Happiness is a palace on two wheels.

Comment

Originally posted by lofty View Post
              Hi folks, Lofty here from good old North Yorkshire:so happy: I've been lurking for a little while to see if this forum is the one for me, decided YES so have now registered and am now a fully fledged member.

Don't want to be a pain in the a**e on first intro but just to put you in the picture - I have RA plus other health/mobility issues. I can have reasonable days or OMG days..........BUT... I still want to camp in some form or another.

I'm a tent camper (don't hold it against me), but now seriously having to come to terms with health/mobility issues. The last few trips in a supposedly easy solo erect tent have had effects resulting in mega pain so now thinking of going the small campervan route instead.

I want to keep my reliable car and buy a c'van as a second vehicle. Would only need a 1 berth (do they come that small?) Doesn't need to be high top or anything as I'm only 4' 10" tall. Am an absolute novice/virgin regards c'van prices but would £2000 get me anything???

Or am I asking the impossible and talking a load of borrocks?

Would be grateful for for any help-tips-advice

Thanks in advance xxxxx Lofty
              I strongly recommend you go visit Richard Baldwin caravans in Halifax,he has two C15 romahomes and an R30, all secondhand,go clamber about in them,it will tell you if they are right for you, then you can make a sensible decision.

Ian
              Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

ok there are camper out ther that dont cost a lot ok they might not be pretty but they are functional mine cost me less than 2000 which is lot of money for me as i am not owrking,ok last car was written off no fault accident that did help pay for it

Comment

Hi Lofty

Sometimes, you can get a decent demountable Romahome for a good price. Try
                  looking on Ebay or Preloved (where we got ours), you might find whist you are after.

Comment

hi there Lofty!

You'd definately be ok in a demountable. I sold mine because at 5ft I had to bend all the time when I used the seating area, and that wouldn't be a problem for you. LiKe Dolly says, there are some good bargains to be had on Ebay and Preloved. Take someone with you who knows about engines though.

Comment

Many thanks for all your replies

I wondered if I was talking a load of borrocks Well, I'll just have to revise my finances then

As Arnie says........I'll be back
                      TTFN
                      :group hug:

Comment

Have a look at a Vikestian

Originally posted by lofty View Post
                        Many thanks for all your replies

I wondered if I was talking a load of borrocks Well, I'll just have to revise my finances then

As Arnie says........I'll be back
                        TTFN
                        If you're looking for a single berth have a look at a Wheelhome Vikestian (there's one for sale at http://www.wheelhome.info//for-sale-models). The standard of their conversions is very high so it might suit? Maybe a bit outside your budget though. Good luck!

Comment

Sorry only just picked up on this thread.

Your budget is a bit low and I think you should consider trading in or selling your car to boost it a bit.

My Mother suffered with RA for most of her adult life and I don't think you should consider a small caravan as suggested by others, you would find it almost as much hassle as a tent. I know I did and I don't have the health that you do. You have my admiration for being determined to "Carry on Camping".

For under 5K you should be able to pick up a small campervan that would double up as everyday transport. The C15 that I have cost a lot less.

Look out for Berlingo/Kangoo/Partner/Doblo based vehicles, or a Bongo is easy to drive as many are automatic.

Comment

Keep your car. You may find that it is easier to use when your RA flares up. Have a good look round in magazines, dealerships, e-Bay, we saw several small caravans at the NEC recently but if joints are painful, these would be hard work on your OMG days

What type of car do you drive?

Oh and welcome from me

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X