This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New member old romahome

tks to graham for helping me through log in and registration on site - who knows why but I managed to have loads of problems along the way. Just bought a Y reg romahome and hoping to gets lots of support in supporting it from the forum.

Never had a campervan before (but dreamed of having one since early 1960s when I went camping with my Dad in the back of an old ex Royal Mail van). OK so my van is 0over 10 yrs old and has a few wee problems - but hope by 2012 they will be sorted and I will be on the road. First major problem is BRAKES and to be honest if I'd read this forum earlier I might not have bought the van - seem that brakes on C15 are an optional extra. Where I live - 8 miles off main road on hilly single track roads, brakes are essential so I do hop I haven't thrown my meagre but hard earned money away and that brakes will be sorted. Then have to work on long snag list of minor TLC issues. Will be coming back to forum time and time again for advice so thanks to whoever the kind person is (graham??) who set it up

Originally posted by cedas View Post
    tks to graham for helping me through log in and registration on site - who knows why but I managed to have loads of problems along the way. Just bought a Y reg romahome and hoping to gets lots of support in supporting it from the forum.

Never had a campervan before (but dreamed of having one since early 1960s when I went camping with my Dad in the back of an old ex Royal Mail van). OK so my van is 0over 10 yrs old and has a few wee problems - but hope by 2012 they will be sorted and I will be on the road. First major problem is BRAKES and to be honest if I'd read this forum earlier I might not have bought the van - seem that brakes on C15 are an optional extra. Where I live - 8 miles off main road on hilly single track roads, brakes are essential so I do hop I haven't thrown my meagre but hard earned money away and that brakes will be sorted. Then have to work on long snag list of minor TLC issues. Will be coming back to forum time and time again for advice so thanks to whoever the kind person is (graham??) who set it up
    Hi Cedas

Glad we managed to sort out your problems with registration to the forum, thanks for perservering and welcome.

The brakes on the C15 can be a bit iffy compared to modern cars but once you are used to them you will be OK. There are lots of really knowledgeable people on the forum willing to help new owners with technical and general camping questions so ask away.

The kind person who set up the forum was Pauline (my wife) I am just her lacky and I help her to run the site along with our moderators GlenW, Tentpeg and KarenW.
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Hi and welcome.

The brakes need careful setting up and then they are adequate - just remember it is like driving a fully loaded van all the time. The Haynes workshop manual for a C15 is a good investment.

By the way Y reg is noy old for a Romahome!!

Peter

Comment

Goodmorning Cedas,
        as I said in another thread,when I got my C15,I had the braking system totally overhauled,I figured my neck was worth the expense.The major change was to replace the master cylinder with a bigger one,and I had absolutely no trouble with the brakes.
        The C15 is not a racing car and if driven sensibly there should not be a problem.

Enjoy your new C15,you havnt wasted a penny.

I look forward to meeting you sometime.

Ian
        Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Hi, Cedas welcome. As you'll find out folk are only too pleased to help out where they can and I'm sure that if you have other queries someone will come along with helpful advice.
          There are many of us with older vans; I don't know how old the oldest is but I reckon my Talbot Express comes close at 20 years and still going strong. Did 2000 miles in France this summer without a hiccough and another 1000 in Cornwall early this month. This time the windscreen wiper packed up in a storm but only needed a nut tightening.
          Hope to see you at one of the meets next year.

Di.

Comment

Hi, Cedas
            welcome to this grand forum,
            Enjoy
            If mistakes are the foundation of understanding, i have firm foundation,Underpinned by much in the way of I don't want to do that again

Comment

my Roma home is a 1988 Honda acty, thats old................ got MOT on thursday, wish me luck!!

Comment

Originally posted by satchmo_shaz View Post
                my Roma home is a 1988 Honda acty, thats old................ got MOT on thursday, wish me luck!!
                Good luck Shaz, hopefully it will sail through, fingers crossed eh?
                Graham
                Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Hi Cedas, I'm the proud owner (with my dog) of an 'S' reg C15 Romahome. After trading in a Honda Jazz for the C15 I was very concerned about the (absence of?) brakes but I had them overhauled at a local garage and I became used to them so everything is ok in that department now. I'm sure you'll have lots of really happy times in your motorhome. Maria

Comment

twin1

Hi and welcome .

Comment

Thanks for all those replies - the comments about the brakes are encouraging - yes it is worth spending money on getting them sorted - not just my neck at risk but could be others!!

Will invest in teh Haynes manual - sounds like a good idea - have had them int he past and found them useful - not that I can do much myself but at least I know (or give the impression I know) what I am talking about when dealing with garages.

Comment

At least with the C15 you have good old fashioned 'garden shed' technology.
                        I still enjoy working on my vehicle (Berlingo Duo) myself where possible, not so much to save money, but I can take my time to do the job properly, i.e all components cleaned, serviced and made 'as new' when I do a job, along with anything else in the area that looks like it may need attention soon.
                        Rather than pay a garage, ask around to see if you can find a good home hobby mechanic, classic car enthusiast etc to set your brakes up. C15 brakes don't need fancy wind back tools or other main agent paraphernalia. Brakes are time consuming things to do properly, most workshops have strict time guidelines so will do the minimum required to get the job done.

As an idea, I just did a full (x4) disc & pad service on my other half's Megane for £155. Dealer price for the job........£870
                        So its worth taking a day off...and I did a far better job. i.e cleaning backplates, checking drive gaitors, cleaning all dirt from wheel arches, spings & brake pipes.
                        Last edited by rubberrat; 26-10-2011, 08:45.
                        Aircooled VW Camper nut!

Comment

Our romahome and our Berlingo car both have the DW8 engine and so I can still do the servicing and most of the repairs. I am looking at investing in the Lexia system for the electronics.

Peter

Comment

I am lucky in having a neighbour who in a previous life was a design engineer for major car company and has all the necessary equipment (inc full ramp, most diagnostic software etc) up here in remote part of Scotland - however - I do have to wait till he has time to do my C15 Romahome. Word has got round about his skills and there is a waiting list. In the meantime - I am jsut desperate to get on the road

Comment

12 volt socket

Have to say this forum is abolsutely brilliant - so much useful information - so now I have a question - have discovered a 12 volt socket in the lounge area of my romahome - what exactly could I use it for ?(I mean charging the mobile phone etc I can do in the cab) Have fridge so don't need it for cooler box - would it charge/run my lap top? (with appropriate transformer/converter) What else could it be used for and how do I work out how long the equipement connected would take to drain my leisure battery?

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X