This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi from Leyland, Lancs.

...looking at the possibility of moving from a touring motorbike to a small motorhome so I will be lurking, soaking up your knowledge and maybe asking some daft questions....

I`ve been to Todds in Preston and had a look at a couple of Mezans, low and high roof and I`m impressed. I havnt seen any Romahomes so dont know the difference, they look very similar.

Anyway, nice to meet you.....

Eric

Hi Eric

Welcome to the forum, ask all the daft questions you like, we are used to it . Romahomes are very similar in looks to Mezans but there are differing views as to whether they are built as well.

Romahomes were the orginal small motorhome and Mezans came later (a sort of straight copy).

Hope you enjoy using the forum and hope you find it valuable, best of luck in your search.
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Hi Eric

Welcome! Hope you manage to find something to suit your needs.

Did you camp while touring on your bike? Or are you new to camping too?

Comment

I am biased but I think that Romahomes are best.

From a practical point of view they are very similar except getting into Romahome lockers is much easier because the cushions are split. Ours is the Pullman version with toilet and diesel heating and hot water.

There have been a number of reports about the build quality of Mezans but I have no personal experience of this.

If you want to look at an older Romahome there is a garage on the way into Lytham that sells campervans and they have a Romahome for sale.

Comment

Hi Eric

WooHoo!! I'm no longer the newest member!

Everyone is great on this site ... I have already asked loads of daft questions and have got really good advice.

Comment

romas & mezans

Originally posted by erix2 View Post
            ...looking at the possibility of moving from a touring motorbike to a small motorhome so I will be lurking, soaking up your knowledge and maybe asking some daft questions....

I`ve been to Todds in Preston and had a look at a couple of Mezans, low and high roof and I`m impressed. I havnt seen any Romahomes so dont know the difference, they look very similar.

Anyway, nice to meet you.....

Eric
            Mezans were copied, I am informed, from a romahome sold to autosleeper by the roma southampton dealer. Auto dismantled it and copied the molding with enough differences not to infringe patents. Both vans are good, romas are cheaper and many more around, so parts may be easier.you pay your money and takes your choice. mezan are on peugot, roma are on citroen, same base vehicle.demountables are only roma, usually on a honda.great little motorhomes whichever you choose. Go for it. good luck.Ian
            Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Thanks for the nice welcome!

I`ve done a lot of camping when much younger....moved on to caravans as the kids were growing. Having a solid roof is the way to go...

Son and daughter now around their 30`s and independant. I`m on my own now but I wont do tenting these days !

I usually tour with (motorbiking) friends and stay in guest houses or hotels but its quite expensive and you cant `please yourself`when stops have to be planned ahead.

I`ll have a look at that place on the way to Lytham thanks Peter...
              There seems to be a Roma dealer near Halifax but their website is poor for information but it might be worth having a ride over to see their stock...anyone dealt with them?

Eric

Comment

Its called Richard Baldwin

We bought ours from there, we got very good service and a good deal, but others were'nt so lucky but I have it on good authority that the problem salesperson has left.

Comment

<<..If you want to look at an older Romahome there is a garage on the way into Lytham that sells campervans and they have a Romahome for sale...>>

Thanks Peter, I had a look y/day, found it in the Hymer place. It was S reg and up at £16+K ! It was clean inside and looked after but very rusty out of sight underneath. A lot for a 12 year old !

Eric

Comment

Eric

I think that that is a different one.

Mixed reports on other forums about Hymer UK/Brownhills at Kirkham

Peter

Comment

Where to look

We were one of the unfortunates that bought brand new in Halifax - nightmare if you want the details get in touch.
                      Best advice is go to Ant's at Avon Motorcaravans in Bristol - he used to do a try before you buy but I can't say whether or not he still does. We learnt from bitter experience that researching your dealer is almost as important as what you buy.
                      We live the other side of Preston Longridge and have a Romahome Duo Plus which we love - we had it for 3 years and I wouldn't swop it for any other model.

Comment

Hi Dora....

I`ve seen a good few while out and about, might well have been yourselves.

I`ll post an update on my search seeing as I`ve had a prompt.... and when I sort out where to post....

Eric

Comment

mezan

hi there, i have just joined. we own a Mezan with nearly 80,000 miles clocked up. plenty of glitches we are aware of but essentially if you can do a little modification, like lengthening the ridiculously short bed if you are over 5ft 7ins and beefing up the inadequate rear suspension more than the totally ill prepared helper springs fitted by autosleeper then you shall more than enjoy this one. we get on average 51mpg and although not four season it is possible to stretch it out to this. we have also fitted shower and some neat german taps that cannot be found in uk. plenty of other modifications too many to mention but im sure eventually they will all be posted here

Comment

shirleyann was wondering about your modifications.... German taps shower etc.

Wonder if you could expand and pics would be good too... love seeing peoples ideas/modifications

Comment

It is useful to remember that the Mezan was built when Autosleepers were under Italian ownership and quality control seemed to go to pot. It may be an urban myth but it is said that Autosleeper bought a Romahome dismantled it and copied it making just enough changes to avoid any legal issues. Depending on the age, the rear helper springs could be standard or heavy duty. I upgraded our Romahome from the standard to the heavy duty and it made some difference. I keep wondering about air suspension as fitted I believe to the Romahome Quartet. The people who import MAD springs say that the kit is available by special order but they have only fitted a couple.

I had thought that all Mezans were fitted with a shower.

By the way the Romahome bed is long enough for me and I am 1.82m (6ft in old money)

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X