This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello! This is heghog.

Hi! Just registered. Not got a Romahome yet, but retiring end of May and I'm looking around. Need to know if there are any problems with driving with such a small back window? Anybody got any comments? Bye the way, I'm very new to forums, so be gentle with me.

Originally posted by Heghog View Post
    Hi! Just registered. Not got a Romahome yet, but retiring end of May and I'm looking around. Need to know if there are any problems with driving with such a small back window? Anybody got any comments? Bye the way, I'm very new to forums, so be gentle with me.
    Hi Heghog wellcome to the forum
    sorry mate yr in and will get the same treatment as the rest
    as regards the rear view i would say just pretend there is no center mirror and use yr wing mirrors ,most romahomes have terrible view from the drivers mirror and should be treated as an extra bennefit when you get to see something
    MOS

Comment

Hi Heghog and welcome. I have a Romahome C15 with stable doors at the rear so I've got two rear windows, one above the other.
      So to see out of both rear windows I put an extra mirror above my drivers mirror. Didn't really work. I still can't see very much!

Comment

Welcome!

I adopted my first Romahome just 3 weeks ago and I wondered what the visibility would be like. I've made two trips so far (Pembrokeshire and the Cotswolds) and have to say that for driving I found the visibility surprisingly good. I'm still not fully-confident re judging the distance for reversing it yet because it's so much longer than my previous vehicle (Kangoo van). It's harder to see vehicles or obstacles behind - so I have to take a peek via opening the driver's door to check. I'm sure that after a few more trips I'll have adjusted to it and never give it a second thought - and that you'll adapt quickly too.

Comment

hello Hedgehog - I'm quite new to driving Romahome (C15) I find side mirrors fine - there is a blind spot - like all vehicles have - stable door windows fine at a distance - and lower one really useful for backing up to kerbs - just watch out if anyone gets a certain distance behind where they cannot be seen between the two rear door windows. Happened once to me recently - where I was going to reverse a bit at a junction to give a big wagon room to manoeuver - sudden loud beeps from behind stopped me in time - but s/he/it was totally invisible to me and must have crept up while I was waiting at the junction.

Anyway the fact that you worry about rear visibility probably proves you are a considerate and careful driver - you'll have no problems. There do seem to be an awful lot out there who don't know what mirrors are for!!

Comment

Hi Hedghog

Welcome to the forum, you will probably find that you will use your wing mirrors more than the rear view mirror and it will become second nature.

We are always gentle with newbies so don't worry, any questions just ask.
            Graham
            Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

hi heghog

hi welcome u do not sae wear u live as some one local to u will let u look round we live north yorks willing to let any on look round how a bout cumeing to one of the meets meet ose all good look tom denise

Comment

Big welcome from us in Essex.

Comment

Hello there!

We got one of those prism things to stick on the window at the back (they have them on the back of coaches etc.). It works reasonably well, but I still have some difficulty judging the distance between me and whoever is following! They always seem much further away than they are, but at least you know someone is behind you!

Comment

Originally posted by Dolly View Post
                    Hello there!

We got one of those prism things to stick on the window at the back (they have them on the back of coaches etc.). It works reasonably well, but I still have some difficulty judging the distance between me and whoever is following! They always seem much further away than they are, but at least you know someone is behind you!

The posh name is a fresnel lens.
                    Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

My Kangoo has no rear window at all
                      At first it was rather challenging and it took some getting used to.
                      Reversing back into parking space particularly at supermarket carparks (with the usual tight spaces) was difficult.
                      Another one that proved tricky was reversing back on a country lane at night to let someone pass ...
                      Another problem was looking over my left shoulder when turning at the junction (no rear side window - just passenger window to look out of).
                      I got used to all this and today I am not bothered at all, but that doesn't prove anything... a lot will depend on your personal abilities.
                      So you will have to be honest with yourself before you accept assurances from others that "it's OK - no problem at all"

Chris

Comment

HI

Hi,
                        Welcome to the forum,

Comment

hi. Welcome to the forum.

Personally, it took me a while to get used to relying so much more on the wing mirrors than the central one, with the vision through the back door of my R20 being relatively restricted. I am still extra careful if I have overtaken someone (this doesn't happen all that often!) in case I accidentally cut them up on my return to the left lane. (Is it just me or do the wing mirrors give a slightly different perspective on the distance between my van and the vehicle behind?)

Having said that, I love my little R20. Its advantages far outweigh any small niggles I may have.

Have fun choosing and safe travels. Oh, and a fun retirement.
                          Carpe diem! :)

Comment

Hi there and welcome to the SMF!

If you can, go and buy your Romahome now - it's a lot cheaper this time of the year. If you leave it until May, everyone has the same idea and the prices go up considerably when the sun comes out!

Comment

Hi Heghog wellcome to the forum, I don't bother with those behind me, they can't keep up with me anyway, joking :so happy: you'll soon get use to using your wing mirrors, happy camping go out and get it now as jay jay says.
                              Gadgetman......... (Bryan)
                              'Live without regrets'

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X