As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

new to it all

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

new to it all

Hi, Iv just bought an S reg wee daihatsu hijet romahome.....it has done 46,000 miles and not in too bad a nick although I need to do a few things to it. Im not technically minded so maybe on here for advice regularly.
    The wee romahome has the plastic type of windows that are not flat but has a double type of window that juts out. I dont know the technical term for them. I would prefer to change them to the flat type. Any advice? Also I need a new rubber seal for the door at the back.

I'm not much use with your enquiry Laura, but just thought I'd say hi.

I've no doubt people will be along shortly with all sorts of useful information.

Geoff and Sue
    Geoff

Comment

hi, Laura. Welcome to the forum.

Am sure the advice will come rolling in - there are some very knowledgeable people on this forum.

Happy travels.
      Carpe diem! :)

Comment

Originally posted by lauramcgaw View Post
        Hi, Iv just bought an S reg wee daihatsu hijet romahome.....it has done 46,000 miles and not in too bad a nick although I need to do a few things to it. Im not technically minded so maybe on here for advice regularly.
        The wee romahome has the plastic type of windows that are not flat but has a double type of window that juts out. I dont know the technical term for them. I would prefer to change them to the flat type. Any advice? Also I need a new rubber seal for the door at the back.
        hello Laura,
        Ant is a fountain of advice and minimouse and jayjay both had/have demountables like yours. The double skin window gives better thermal insulation than the flat single skin,and you may like to take that into consideration.
        the others will be along soon to offer advice.Meanwhile put a question on the Ask Ant thread,and see what he has to say.
        welcome to the family by the way.
        Ian
        Young men sow wild oats.Old men grow sage.

Comment

Welcome to the forum Laura, lots of advice and friendly chat on here.

With regards to your door seal, these people have been recommended on here before.

http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/
          Graham
          Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Hi, Laura and welcome,

I shall watch your responses with interest as when I was cleaning my Talbot I noticed the rubber seal around the sliding window has come loose. I can't get it to go back in to the channel - it doesn't seem big enough but suspect it just needs stretching but am wondering if it needs some sort of sealant.

So come on you knowledgable lot- help out 2 ladies in distress

Di.

Comment

Hi Laura and welcome.
              derek b and Babs

Comment

Hi Laura,

The seal you need is ET57 for the doors..
                http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/shoppin...artmentId=8#65

and as for the window... if it isn't leaking then I suggest leave well alone. I have the single skinned windows on my pod and they are very good but do suffer from condensation overnight. So if you have the double skinned (glazed ) windows then hopefully you won't have so much of an issue with the condensation.

If you have anymore questions feel free to ask.
                I make occasional visits to reality, but I'm not a full time resident
                http://minimouseandmilos.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi Laura and welcome!

MM is quite right about the windows, the flat ones are the older ones and not double glazed, you'd be doing yourself a mis-service if you replaced them with single layer windows. Also, the older windows don't open, they are sealed. And the cold comes through them at night, so stick with what you've got!

Just ordered some ET57 from seals direct for my caravan door as well! You don't take the old stuff out, leave that alone on the inner lip, and just put the new stuff onto the outside lip, very easy, tap it on gently with a hammer or wooden mallet.

Di - re the rubber seal - it sounds like you also need to go to seals direct.co.uk and see if you can get a new sliding seal for your window... it sounds as though it has shrunk in the sun over the years, as they do. If you can't find the right one, send them a bit and they will match it up for you if they have it.

Comment

Thanks, Jayjay,

I thought rubber stretched not shrank; either way it will need replacing so another job on to 'things to do' list. Will see how it goes in Bridlington.

Di.

Comment

thanks

Originally posted by Minimouse View Post
                      Hi Laura,

The seal you need is ET57 for the doors..
                      http://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/shoppin...artmentId=8#65

and as for the window... if it isn't leaking then I suggest leave well alone. I have the single skinned windows on my pod and they are very good but do suffer from condensation overnight. So if you have the double skinned (glazed ) windows then hopefully you won't have so much of an issue with the condensation.

If you have anymore questions feel free to ask.
                      Think I will stick with what iv got in the window line. Thanks. Now Im looking for a wee awning to fix to the back of my daihatsu romahome. Any suggestions........

Comment

If you are thinking of replacing the rubbers round your windows go and talk to your local windscreen fitter (choose a small one not Autoglass) of try the people who fit glass into plant locally (you know JCBs etc). Plant glass fitters fit loads of flat glass windows, they can almost do it in their sleep and usually they can cut sfety galss or get it cut to size at a reasonable price.

Peter

Comment

Awnings really depend on what you want to spend.
                          Are you looking to buy new? secondhand? Are you likely to be taking anyone else travelling that needs space to sleep? Do you want one for winter travel? Or just fine weather? Is there just you to erect it?

Sorry lots of questions but means we can answer that query better and let you know what to look for
                          I make occasional visits to reality, but I'm not a full time resident
                          http://minimouseandmilos.blogspot.com

Comment

Hi Laura and welcome from me :so happy:
                            Gadgetman......... (Bryan)
                            'Live without regrets'

Comment

Originally posted by Minimouse View Post
                              Awnings really depend on what you want to spend.
                              Are you looking to buy new? secondhand? Are you likely to be taking anyone else travelling that needs space to sleep? Do you want one for winter travel? Or just fine weather? Is there just you to erect it?

Sorry lots of questions but means we can answer that query better and let you know what to look for
                              Im looking for something new, no one else gonna be staying with me but could just do with a wee bit more space for things when parked up, summer travel only, hopefully fine weather and there will be just me to erect it so something simple. (also like me) haha.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X