As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi from 602

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi from 602

Hi,

So I got a mail from the bass, saying come back. So I came back, though I can't remember ever being here im the first place. Must be an age thing. As my username and password were accepted, I guess I must have been here at some time.

So what's new? Well, I've managed to get a dating certificate for my 1959 Land Rover, so that will soon be MOT exempt. Or should I wash my mouth out? And I bought a pop-top roof off Ebay, so we can stand up in the back.

But first I have to pull the body off, to get a good look at the chassis ..... I suspect that I'm going to be lashing out £1,500 for a new one (galvanised, of course). It will only take ten years to pay for itself, as she is already VED exempt.

More anon.

602 (which is the "last three" of my old RAF number.

Hi 602

Welcome back to the forum, I sent an email out to all the people who haven't been on for a while, thanks for coming on and telling us your news.

You actually joined the forum in 2010 so it is a while ago and you are forgiven for forgetting. Now you've found us again don't be a stranger.
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

How lovely that the email bought someone back

Lovely to read your news, sounds like you are busy and have some work to do!

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the nice words of welcome (back)

I have a Freedom Microlite trailer caravan, but decided that I needed a camper van as well, for those times when I want to tow something else, or when dragging the caravan out of storage and hitching up is too much hassle for one night away.

I declared that we really, really, should have a VW camper, but SWMBO did not agree, and as her pension is bigger than mine ......

But she did buy me the old Land Rover. The plan is to fit it out as a day-van ..... hob, loo (its an age thing), and I have ideas about how to fit a double bed for emergency sleep-overs. I also had plans to "shim" the roof panel up by a couple of feet, but the pop-top came up on Ebay. Er ...it is 9ft long, by 5ft wide. I extended the drawbar on my 4ft x 3ft trailer, laid a couple of planks across the gunnels, and had no problems dragging the roof from Surrey to Swansea.

More anon

Comment

Hi 602,

Sounds really good, hope to see a photo posted when finished

Comment

Hi,

Can somebody clarify something please?

This site is called "Smallmotorhome". But I see there are discussions on the Romini, which is a small trailer caravan. Does that mean that small caravans are welcome/tolerated, or is it only those that are made by Romany?

As mentioned previously, I have a Freedom Microlite (uprated to 850kg MGW, so I can bring an extra 100kg of wine back from France). I have been unable to find a discussion group dedicated to Freedoms.

Comment

Originally posted by w3526602 View Post
              Hi,

Can somebody clarify something please?

This site is called "Smallmotorhome". But I see there are discussions on the Romini, which is a small trailer caravan. Does that mean that small caravans are welcome/tolerated, or is it only those that are made by Romany?

As mentioned previously, I have a Freedom Microlite (uprated to 850kg MGW, so I can bring an extra 100kg of wine back from France). I have been unable to find a discussion group dedicated to Freedoms.

Graham and Pauline who selflessly run this forum have declared non-small motorhome users as "friends". I am a "friend":so happy:
              Rominis are very welcome (they have historical connections with Romahome) and we also have at least one more Freedom and a Kip among the "friends". Not quite sure of Glenw's status - he has a mobile block of flats!. But then he earns his place by being a moderator.
              Jim
              Last edited by Twolitre; 14-08-2012, 09:06.
              Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

This forum seems to welcome all camping units so I dont think you have any worries on that score 602. My own unit is........... unique
                Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

Originally posted by Twolitre View Post
                  Not quite sure of Glenw's status - he has a mobile block of flats!. But then he earns his place by being a moderator.
                  Jim
                  : We did originally have a small motorhome! Our plan to escape from here was to slowly get a bigger and bigger motorhome until we were barred, but that didn't work so instead we switched to ever increasing sized caravans. Graham and Pauline added the 'and friends' and foiled that plan too. And now I have to work here too!
                  Why not have a look at my latest wildlife photos, habitat projects and general natural world related shenanigans? https://facebook.com/Watsonswildlife

Comment

HI and welcome!

A few on here have Freedoms and I'm the one with the Kip! There's a section on the forum for us too, look in the Caravan Chat section!

Comment

Welcome back!

I'm a Freedom owner - 1993 Sunseeker - although I used to have a small motorhome - Autosleeper Frisky, a pop top Transit, and am currently (till it gets cold at night again) a tenter.

I hope to escape the "and friends" moniker and become a proper small motorhomer again as soon as I can.

Comment

Hi,

Many thanks for replies. My plan is to have both a camper and the Freedom caravan ..... and my Discovery, and my Series 2 Land Rover, and a smal van (A30, Thames, Husky or WHY provided it is tax exempt and preferably MOT exempt, for taking Blitz for walkies down the canal) plus a small modern runaround for Barbara, plus a classic convertible to bring a smile to her lips.

Barbara's plan seems to be to restrict my ambitions.

I posted a picture of my Freedom in the caravan section, titled "Pea on a Drum". I'll now go and post am awning question.

Comment

[QUOTE=w3526602;49115]... I've managed to get a dating certificate.../QUOTE]

Blimey I didn't know you needed a certificate for that too now!

Bureaucracy gorn mad. They'll be taxing it next.
                          Geoff

Comment

Blimey I didn't know you needed a certificate for that too now! Bureaucracy gorn mad. They'll be taxing it next.

Hi Artoo0,

I think most of us know that pre-1973 manufactured vehicles are exempt from Road Tax.

Within a couple of months, pre-1960 manufactured vehicles will also be exempt from needing an MOT. My old Land Rover left the factory on 2nd December 1959, but was not registered until April 1960. It quite a rigmarole acquiring all the evidence to convince DVLA that their computer records need updating.

I'm planning to fit a new galvanised chassis, which means that the original chassis number stamping will be lost forever, so I had to prove everything before dismantling.

Comment

Originally posted by w3526602 View Post
                              Blimey I didn't know you needed a certificate for that too now! Bureaucracy gorn mad. They'll be taxing it next.

Hi Artoo0,

I think most of us know that pre-1973 manufactured vehicles are exempt from Road Tax.

Within a couple of months, pre-1960 manufactured vehicles will also be exempt from needing an MOT. My old Land Rover left the factory on 2nd December 1959, but was not registered until April 1960. It quite a rigmarole acquiring all the evidence to convince DVLA that their computer records need updating.

I'm planning to fit a new galvanised chassis, which means that the original chassis number stamping will be lost forever, so I had to prove everything before dismantling.

I think you are on a dead horse here! Surely DVLA will consider the date of registration to be the deciding factor. If the vehicle had never been registered in this Country it might be different. But.....
                              Jim.
                              Keeping people waiting is stealing a part of their lives.

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X