X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello from the Emerald Isle

Hello Everybody,

My name is Dave and I live in Laois, Ireland. I am looking to buy a second hand Romahome. Only problem is they are few and far between in the Republic of Ireland probably because the Vehicle Registration Tax is so high when you bring them in from the UK. However I did find one (or rather a fellow enthusiast did) here:
    http://www.eastcoastcampers.ie/90romahome.htm
    and my question is: Is this a real Romahome, it looks different to the other C15s I've seen. Is the body a monocoque shell made from plastic or is it metal?
    I am going to try and see it Friday but it is a bit of a drive to get there so I don't want to travel for nothing. I will call them before I go. Are there things I should look for in this vehicle, such as rust? Lastly, does anyone know anyone in the Republic who is selling one?

Regards and thanks,

David

Hi Dave

Welcome to the forum, I'm not sure that is a Romahome as you say it doesn't look like the normal C15's, we'll see what others have to say but I would say not.
    Graham
    Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Hi Dave, I agree with Graham, I don't think it ever had a Romahome badge. I have seen one similar that was being sold as a Sportsman but no clues as to the coachbuilder. It looks like an ash and aluminium type construction rather than fibreglass so a damp check would be in order. The Citroen C15 did suffer from rust, doors, wings and bonnet easily fixed but engine bulkhead and bits underneath can be very expensive to repair. It looks well built in the pics but rather a large body for a light van, I would want to know how heavy it is, not much spare weight capacity for bits and bobs. Good luck in your search and happy camping.
      Last edited by Derek; 06-04-2010, 12:34.
      Derek Our Berlingo camping car

Comment

Probably a Nu Venture made by a company in Wigan.

I think that they made a Sportsman and a Junior based on a C15

Comment

Not a Romahome, but the inside looks like Nu Venture upholstery. But the luton from the outside looks a bit crude for them, could be an early one. By the stickers it has been about quite a bit, but the old c15 engines are good for at least 150,000 miles.
          Good luck and welcome.
          Colin

Comment

Originally posted by Derek View Post
            ....rather a large body for a light van, I would want to know how heavy it is, not much spare weight capacity ...
            It also says that the engine is a 1.5. As far as I know, the C15s used for Romahomes were 1.7 and some were 1.9.

Give this van a good road-test to make sure it has enough power.

Comment

C15s of this vintage were fitted with a petrol engine 0f about 1100cc (I think) or a diesel engine 0f 1769cc (known as a 1.7 in some circles and a 1.8 in others) This was the XUD range which had a very good reputation for reliability.

The very last C15s were fitted with the 1868 DW8 engine as fitted to the Berlingo of the same age. Again very reliable as it is based on the XUD.
              (these are known as 1.8 or 1.9. This leads to much confusion because there was a 1.9 fitted to early Berlingos but that was 1901cc)

Comment

Hi David,

This looks like a Bedford Bambi on a Citroen base! It's certainly not a Romahome as it isn't fibreglass, but coach built. Take a damp meter and check every single bit out as the Bambi's are very old and prone to damp.

Here's a Bambi I found on ebay. It has the coachbuilt body and it's on a Bedford Rascal base, but I think it's the same as that one you're looking at. Note that the seller says there is a 'tiny' leak.

Ant will be able to tell you more. Good luck with your search. JayJay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1986-BEDFORD-B...item3a5965a111

Comment

Definitely not related to a bambi in any shape or form.

Have a look at the list of campers shown on this site
                  http://www.knightmotorcaravans.co.uk...spx?tabid=1088

They have pictures of outside and inside of a number of C15 based campers, but be patient because there are a lot.

Comment

Knights were selling this one as a Sportsman and it looks similar to the East Coast Campers one which is a 1990 model. It has the same work over the cab.
                    1989 Sportsman Link

This one is also shown as a Sportsman and looks like a Nu Venture model to me, plenty of this type around.
                    1995 Sportsman Link

Looks like Peter is right, an early Nu Venture, they must have changed to smooth sides and different overcab work early 90's ----- unless someone knows better
                    Derek Our Berlingo camping car

Comment

Originally posted by peterholden View Post
                      Definitely not related to a bambi in any shape or form.
                      I stand corrected! But coach built?

If it were me, and knowing the struggle I've had with water ingress, I'd wait for a GRP/ Fibreglass one to come along....

Good luck with your search.

Comment

Just wanted to say hello Dave and good luck in your search.

Comment

Thank You!

Hello Everyone,

Thank you for your very kind replies and for putting me in the picture regarding this Nu Venture in "Romahome" clothing. I am going to see the seller (eastcoastcampers.ie) on Saturday so I will be better equipped to bargain but I don't think I will buy this one as a popular insurer for Campervans in Ireland (Dolmen) told me that they would not give me cover for it (they did not say why) but that I should contact them again if I had other campers in mind. Also having seen a genuine Roamhome yesterday (Phil's in Mayo, one of the few people to have one in the Republic) I am only interested in the genuine article. I think I will have to give Ant in Bristol a call!

Thanks again!

David

Comment

Romahomes and Emerald Isle

Hello Drama Dave

I am also writing from the emerald isle, down here in what is a very wet west cork, but memories of the wonderful summer are so strong with me that I have started to look for small camper/motorhomes and am drawn to the citroen c15 romahome.

I wonder did you have any success at finding one, and if so did it work out for you and approx how much did the customs charge you if had to import one? They sure are very scarce on this side of the water, I hope you struck lucky.

Commendations to Pauline and Graham on running such as excellent club/forum, and in so doing providing invaluable experience and info in one place.

I shall even be trying out some of the wonderful suggested motorhome friendly cooking recipes in advance of owning the motorhome.

Best
                            Maureen

Comment

Originally posted by dingle View Post
                              Commendations to Pauline and Graham on running such as excellent club/forum, and in so doing providing invaluable experience and info in one place.

I shall even be trying out some of the wonderful suggested motorhome friendly cooking recipes in advance of owning the motorhome.
                              Hi Dingle

Thanks for the kind comments about the website and forum and for your lovely email, it's much appreciated, good luck with finding a van.
                              Graham
                              Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X