As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bank Holiday blues and Hello

Collapse
This topic is closed, however please feel free to start a new topic on the subject.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bank Holiday blues and Hello

Hi everyone and Happy Easter

I should be camping in my tent this weekend, but it's so damn cold that I'm sat at my pc wishing I could be outdoors.
    I've had a Citroen Berlingo for several years and generally throw my tent etc in the back and go, but last year was so wet and this year has started so cold that I'm doing some lateral thinking.
    If I could make the back of my Berlingo comfy for me and my dog we could go camping in crap weather.
    I found this site so I'm here to harvest useful tips and make friends.

ComfortLover

Hi. Welcome to the site.

Brr, the thought of camping in a tent in this weather?!! Though it is great fun in the van, given sufficient layers and sources of warmth.

Am sure the resident experts will be along soon to give you some useful pointers.
    Carpe diem! :)

Comment

Hi comfortlover

Welcome to the forum, the weather is depressing isn't it, hopefully the sun will start to shine soon and we can all get out and about in our vans/tents/caravans. Surely this winter can't last any longer........can it?

This friendly forum is a great place to start if you are thinking of making the back of your van more comfortable for camping there are lots of ideas in the "cars and light vans adapted for camping section" have a read over there and ask any questions, you can bet your life that at least one of our friendly forumites will have an answer.
      Graham
      Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Hello

Yes, the weather is crap at the moment, but we are sort of owed a great summer this year, even if it's short!

Some friends of mine used to camp in a tent, they took everything by van and if the weather was horrible, the airbed went in the back of the van!

Comment

Hi Comfortlover and welcome. Lots of posts on this site about sleeping in your Berlingo!
          derek b and Babs

Comment

Don't let the cold put you off. I used to wild-camp in the back an uninsulated Kangoo panel van in -14 deg so the -7deg of this weekend is relatively tropical!

Invest in 2 sets of good thermals (and wear both together) plus a good down sleeping bag and you'll be fine

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
              the weather is depressing isn't it,
              No it's not. It's absolutely wonderful! Snow and frost is some of the best possible weather and perfect for camping and there was even a little sun peeping through yesterday.

I'm just back from wilding in -8deg in the Brecon Beacons where many other wildcampers had the same idea and for the first time this year, I had neighbours...

Comment

Great idea to camp in your berlingo.especially if it means not missing the opportunity of a weekend away
                Welcome from me too!

Comment

Originally posted by karenw View Post
                  Don't let the cold put you off. I used to wild-camp in the back an uninsulated Kangoo panel van in -14 deg so the -7deg of this weekend is relatively tropical!

Invest in 2 sets of good thermals (and wear both together) plus a good down sleeping bag and you'll be fine

Don't listen to Karen she's slightly batty, stay in the warmth until the temperature reaches at least 10 degrees.

Only joking of course, Karen has my deepest admiration for the endurance tests she undertakes under the guise of camping.
                  Graham
                  Did you know you can follow us on Facebook, YouTube and Twitter or you can visit us at our Website

Comment

Weather up here on Skye is fantastic - blue skies, sunny days - OK so it is a bit cold at night. I measure the cold by the cms of ice on the hens' water bowls in the morning. About 2cm this morning.

But for camping - great weather. Not sure whether an uninsulated Berlingo van is warmer than a tent or not but at least you'd be off the ground. If you've been a tent camper you'd be fine - as karen says - all you need is good thermals and nice comfy down sleeping bag. The lovely thing about sleeping in a down bag in the van is that lovely down sleeping bag won't get DAMP. Nothing worse than a damp down bag in damp British weather. But we haven't had "preciptiation" up here - be it rain or snow - for weeks and weeks and weeks. I really msut stop gloating - no doubt we'll pay for all this lovely weather later.

Have you looked at the simple conversions available for Berlingos?

http://www.amdro.co.uk/index.php?osC...o70vn0cltsd443

ps Graham, I have yet to meet "slighly batty" Karen but suspect we'd share some similar opinions re camping in winter - Everytime Ive been away recently I seem to pick the time when temp is way below zero at night. Anyway I thought I'd read she was more rabbity than batty

Comment

Originally posted by cedas View Post
                      ps Graham, I have yet to meet "slighly batty" Karen but suspect we'd share some similar opinions re camping in winter - Everytime Ive been away recently I seem to pick the time when temp is way below zero at night. Anyway I thought I'd read she was more rabbity than batty

I don't mind being considered 'slightly batty' or rabbity!

Personally, I love camping in winter. It's quieter then so more places to park and very few people out and about at night making wilding even easier.

Nothing beats being snug and cosy tucked up in a van while the outside world freezes around you, then you wake up to a white wonderland and can be the first to enjoy it (assuming your door hinges are not frozen solid preventing the doors being opened!). It can be chilly but with 2 sets of good thermals and a good 4-season down sleeping bag, this isn't a problem.

The only downside is that the days are so short and the evenings can seem very long!

I'm sure we'll meet one day to discuss the joys of sub-zero camping. I was hoping to head up to Scotland and Skye again next month but have had to revise plans and cancel my annual tour of the Highlands this year.

Comment

Originally posted by ComfortLover View Post
                        Hi everyone and Happy Easter

I should be camping in my tent this weekend, but it's so damn cold that I'm sat at my pc wishing I could be outdoors.
                        Welcome to the forum

I can sympathize, we should have been away this Easter as well but the low temperatures and copious amounts of snow put pay to that idea. Had it been just my wife and I we would have braved it (camped in much worse) but we have a 5 month old baby and so didn't want to take the risk. As it turned out the road to our intended site was cut off by snow so we couldn't have gone anyway. Going properly stir crazy now and literally cannot wait to get away.

If you aren't busy at the end of April why not come along to the forum spring meet? There are still spaces as long as you can managed without electric hook up.
                        Better a rainy day on the hill than a sunny day in the office!

Comment

320x50 mobile only under posts reg users

Collapse

728x90 google ad under posts desktop only reg users

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X